Forum: Photoshop

Subject: B-a-c-k-y-a-r-d W-a-r-r-i-o-r-s

mf193 opened this issue on Jun 05, 2001 ยท 4 posts

mf193 posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 5:09 PM

Took this little fella oughtta poser and trasplanted him into a picture from my backyard...like something oughtta Small Soldiers...comments?

VooDooUterus posted Fri, 08 June 2001 at 12:09 PM

it's not bad, but to be fair, here's a criticism (a nice one): the drop shadow make the little garden scene look like what it really is - a backdrop. and the shadows are going in the wrong direction. these small, seemingly unimportant details are what make photoediting convincing, the things you don't notice. also, there appears to be something funky with the blade of grass overlapping the little dude. just trying to help.

Slynky posted Tue, 26 June 2001 at 11:28 PM

If you wanna do shadows properly, do them by hand. Think about it, if you use a drop shadow filter, everything goes on one layer. I recommend zooming in and (albeit, painfully) drawing in your own shadows. Filters can be good, once in a while, but I've never seen a drop shadow filter that was worth using. ry

hermith666 posted Tue, 10 July 2001 at 1:12 AM

Another way to deal with the shadows, (yeah, I know nobody asked me, but...) is to render the creature in poser against a plane with inclinations and ligh sources that match those of your picture. Then, in photoshop, you detatch the shadow from the figure and, taking good care to fit it exactly where it used to be in the original scene, blend it against the background in a subtractive mode, so that it only darkens the places it overlaps with the picture, giving the sense of real shadows... Did it once... was not the easiest task i ever performed but was worth... Hope to be of help