Forum: Photography

Subject: printing and print paper

picnic opened this issue on Jun 13, 2001 ยท 5 posts

picnic posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 4:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.digitalartsupplies.com

I'm interested in knowing if anyone is using anything but photo gloss paper for printing. Also, what printers do you use? I don't print that many of my photos, but am thinking of doing a series of the flower macros. I truly sort of prefer a satin paper instead of the gloss for just regular photos too, altho' I do use several different gloss papers. But--I'm crazy about the papers from Digital Art Supplies. I just finished printing the verbena rigida on Hahnemuhle Torchon 285 gsm paper and it is wonderful--even on my HP 732 (this is a heavy watercolor paper). I am sort of planning on buying an Epson printer--as low in the range of their photo group as I can--after August when they come out with their 'new' archival inks/papers (supposedly to correct the orange problem)--for just photo printing. My HP (my 3rd or 4th) is great as an all round printer and I'm not particularly unhappy with the results I'm getting now, but feel with a 6 color printer, the results will be even better. So--what is everyone else using?? Diane

bsteph2069 posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 7:02 PM

I use an OLD Cannon 300dpi. I also have used the Satin type paper. I personally love HP paper and the Kodak textured Paper. However these are for personal use not to sale or present to anyone else. Bsteph

RJH posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 10:21 PM

For info I am using a lexmark z51 printer with the optional photo cartridge set at 1200 X 1200 for the print quality any lower of a setting leaves lines in the picture. The last batch of paper I tried was the epson photo paper which seems to work ok.

billglaw posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 10:22 PM

As reference join digital-fineart@yahoogroups.com There is an on-going discussion amoung artists about digital printing. It will be more than you care to know, but will reference at lot of information on Epson printers. Some of them are affordable.

JordyArt posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 7:02 PM

I currently use an Epson Stylus Colour 680 - this is my 3rd Epson in a row and prints to 2880dpi. I'm just using standard Kodak Glossy Picture Paper and the results are very pleasing for personal use. Considering this printer is available in the UK for 100 it's a great buy. One of my main considerations is the costs of the cartridges. Originals for mine are about 35! Aftermarket are still 20, but they do seem to last quite a while..... even with my substantial amount of printing!