Forum: Carrara

Subject: Carrara release date .

litst opened this issue on Jun 14, 2001 ยท 15 posts

litst posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 9:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3dvf.com/

According to the web magazine 3DartistVF, Carrara will be released on the 18th June . Eovia hasn't officialy announced any release date, though . This may sound obscure, but 3DVF is usually well-informed . litst litst.@freesbee.fr

october posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 11:06 AM

I'm not holding my breath. Damnit, actually I am It's gonna suck when it doesn't happen. Ah well, I've ben disappointed before. :)

litst posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 11:42 AM

It seems that some people have received this newsletter from Eovia . I pass it along, for those like me who, thinking they was subscribed, didn't receive it . litst litst.@freesbee.fr ----------------------------------- Hello, As you know, EOVIA has been working over the last few months towards re-branding MetaCreations Carrara and bringing it back to market. We are happy to inform you that the release of the new product is imminent. This is a pre-announcement, aimed at making you aware of the upcoming release. A full press release will be available shortly. The target release date is Monday, June 18, 2001. We have completed the process of bug-fixing and re-branding Carrara to an Eovia product under the name: Carrara Studio(TM). Carrara Studio--The Successor of Ray Dream Studio and Infini-D(TM), the most popular 3D graphics applications for the Macintosh and Windows, is the complete, extensible and affordable 3D solution for modeling, animation, rendering, and special effects. Optimized for blazing performance, Carrara Studio enables full real time scene manipulation and high-quality 3D rendering up to eleven times faster than its predecessors. With an elegant, intuitive and uncluttered user interface, Carrara Studio delivers professional results without a professional learning curve. Whether experienced in 3D or not, Carrara Studio is the clear choice for every digital artist, web designer and multimedia producer. In addition to re-branding, Eovia has added new features to Carrara Studio: - Amapi 3D v5, a complete NURBS modeler. - Smart Pack, a set of 25 new plug-ins - Carrara QuickTour, an interactive tutorial based on an innovative technology. Existing Carrara users will be able to get a free re-branded, bug fix update via download, or purchase the new package at strong discounts if they want to get the new features, materials and models collections included on the CD. If you'd like to be informed by way of the upcoming press release, please let us know. Thanks, and don't hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. Philip Staiger EOVIA Amapi/Carrara Evangelist Email: philip@eovia.com (858) 457-5359 x114 EOVIA Press contact: Emily Sorenson Email: emily@eovia.com (858) 457-5359 x111 EOVIA website: www.eovia.com PS: See EOVIA product demonstrations July 18-20 at the Javitts Center in New York during MacWorld expo or August 14-16 in Los Angeles during SIGGRAPH expo. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Philip Staiger, Amapi+Carrara Evangelist TGS, Inc. 5330 Carroll Canyon Road, Suite 201 San Diego, CA 92121 / USA ph: (858)457-5359 x114 fax: (858)452-2547 ICQ: #7331124 / Email: philip@tgs.com

Tuck3D posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 12:39 PM

So ya still have to buy it huh?

litst posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 12:59 PM

It says : "Existing Carrara users will be able to get a free re-branded, bug fix update via download", so we'll finally get what we paid for :) litst

brenthomer posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 1:39 PM

Well when this happens I will be happy. Granted I am still dissapointed b/c there is no bones but that is my fault for not knowing the differnece between IK and bones when I bought the package. I do have to laugh tho..for a while I was receiving emails from evoia...and now..nothing. Suppose I need to reregister AGAIN (this will be no. 3 for registering with them). Also from looking at the posts here so far I have determined that there are going to be lots of people unhappy at even this patch. For goodness sakes I was thrilled when I saw amapi 5 was bundled and included..THAT IS SO COOL...then I see..."if we want the extra goodies it will co$t" ?? COME ON!!!! Your crying b/c you want a box and a few crappy textures and meshes???? geesh..

october posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 1:52 PM

I to have registerd 3 times, and I've signed up for several of Eovia's mailing lists. And yet, nothing. I hope this won't cause trouble when I try to get the update!! I wonder why Eovia doesn't put the newsletter on their site, since they evidently have trouble maintaing a mailing list.

Izuel posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 2:24 PM

Carrara is going to have a NURBs modeler?!?

litst posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 3:16 PM

More than a NURBs modeller, a complete modelling software ! Amapi is considered as one the best, or at least, one of the more pleasant modeller . In Europe, it is widely used by the pros . IMO, Eovia got it right this time by offering a lot of features for the price . At the other end, they can't count on any hi-end technology to sell the package, hey ! ;) But RDS and then Carrara, with its intuitive interface, have always been a good way to get aquainted to 3D, so Carrara Studio is surely a great deal for the newcomers . If the newcomers come to Carrara, then the product do have a future . And they promise a "strong discount" for current Carrara users ... litst

Tuck3D posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 5:08 PM

Here's the Amapi question? No integration or plugin connection to Carrara, just a standalone version, similar to what was on the Amapi 5.1 CD plus 5.15 applied to it, essentially. Mac and PC. The Carrara CD is a hybrid too. Amapi 5 exports to RDS 5, so that imports into Carrara's vertex modeler. Of course, if you use Nurbs in Amapi and want to pass it to Carrara, you should convert the Nurbs to polyhedral (double-click the part(s) ) prior to export to predict what polygons you end up getting. -Philip

elgeneralisimo posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 5:40 PM

From: antoine@c... Date: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:22 pm Subject: Carrara Studio available.... ... in four days! Dear Dreamers, Official launch of Carrara Studio will be Monday, June 18. We will post a press release and a product description on our web site that day. As it seems that we have already a lot of people calling to purchase upgrades, we are taking pre-orders. As there will be a limited number of boxes available at the beginning, orders are taken on a first come, first served basis. You can order now at: 888-394-2307 (Toll Free) From 8AM to 7PM Central Time. Online orders will be taken starting Monday. I guess that what you now need is prices! Carrara Studio: USD 399.00 Upgrade from MetaCreations Carrara: USD 99.00 Upgrade from Ray Dream, Infini-D to Carrara Studio: USD 149.00 A few comments: As promised a totally free patch will be available for registered users of MetaCreations Carrara. This patch fixes nearly 100 major bugs found in the MetaCreations version. The Carrara 1.1 Updater will be available on Monday (download). Carrara users who want the complete boxed version with Amapi 3D v.5, the Smart Pack (25 plug-ins) and the QuickTour can purchase the: $99.00 upgrade. We have decided to give an exceptional offer to the Ray Dream and Infini-D users: Absolutely all the users of these two products are eligible for this limited in time offer (this includes all versions of Infini-D, Ray Dream 3D, Designer, and Studio). Price is USD 149.00. This is the last opportunity for the Ray Dream and Infini-D users to upgrade to Carrara Studio at very low price. I will closely monitor the list to answers to your questions about Carrara Studio. Happy rendering to all! Antoine Clappier ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ President & CEO Eovia Corporation http://www.eovia.com mailto:antoine@e...

kaom posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 10:16 PM

So let me get this straight? The new patch we'll be getting for Carrara 1.01 will not be the same thing as Carrara studio? Will I have to pay $99.00 for Carrara studio? Will the new patch turn my existing Carrara into Carrara studio? Confused and baffled!!!!!!!!!!

october posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 10:27 PM

Isn't there already a 1.1 patch?

elgeneralisimo posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 10:45 PM

CS = $99 = Patched version of Carrara + Amapi v5 + plug-ins The free patch will fix the present version 1.01, and you get none of the extras.

willf posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 11:11 PM

Darn, now I'll have no excuse as to why that project isn't done yet! All in all it looks like a good deal. I guess I'll go for the "boxed" upgrade, $100.00 for full Amapi, plugs and tuts is a great price. I was on the "list" also but didn't recive the news, thanks for posting it.