Forum: Challenge Arena

Subject: agiel's June Challenge

agiel opened this issue on Jun 21, 2001 ยท 9 posts

agiel posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 1:35 PM

I started thinking about a challenge since last night and I came up with a dozen ideas. Here is the one I chose. "Shadows" Create a photorealistic scene in black and white (or monochrome, sepia is fine), making a good use of lights and shadows. When I started reading more about rendering techniques, I was amazed at how much better a computer graphics scene can be with just a few well placed lights. I would like to see more pictures like that. You can find inspiration in old 'film noir' movies if you like, or even mix your scene with a real background photograph. Anything goes as long as it involves black and white, photorealistic lights and shadows. I hope you will have fun with this one...

Crossblade posted Mon, 25 June 2001 at 12:17 PM

Hi, not sure exactly how this works (syllogz told me about it, thanks man!), but I think I post my picture here, what happens next is a mystery, well, to me at least....

agiel posted Mon, 25 June 2001 at 10:58 PM

Crossblade : Great picture ! Coming right out of the Exorcist. This is exactly the kind of mood I had in mind. I guess you also have to upload this picture on the 'challenge' gallery for it to be accepted as an entry (I almost didn't make it last time :)).

jr221 posted Sun, 01 July 2001 at 10:02 AM

This is my first post here in the challenge arena. I can, only because I am recycling one of my older images, but changing to b/w seems to change the whole feel of the image. If you like it, I'll post to the gallery.

ppowellaa posted Thu, 05 July 2001 at 6:43 PM

Here is my entry.

agiel posted Fri, 06 July 2001 at 8:33 AM

Nice work ! The softness of the scene makes sets a perfect mood. I looked at the main gallery... this picture is a lot more powerful in black and white than the original.

mf193 posted Thu, 12 July 2001 at 1:01 AM

Ok, here's mine!

agiel posted Thu, 12 July 2001 at 7:11 AM

A reminder about the netries : don't forget to post them on the challenge arena gallery as well.

artzfuct posted Fri, 13 July 2001 at 1:27 PM

Here is my entry. This happens to be the current project I am working on, it just happened to suit the parameters of this month's contest I thought. BTW, George please note I am the same as soapy, my normal nick but I forget my password to the email for that nick and artzfuct was my original login I setup. I set it up not knowing I couldnt change how my nick would show. artzfuct is my hotmail account...