Forum: Bryce

Subject: my attempt at a beach scene

Sanitarium opened this issue on Sep 21, 1999 ยท 8 posts

Sanitarium posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 6:30 AM

ok, i know i am a serious newbie at this 3D thing, and i am one of the 31% who only do it for fun, but here is the most dificult image i have done to date. it took me a bunch of attempts before i got it to this, and it took forever to render. if anyone has any suggestions for me, they would be very appreciated and very welcome, i love to figure out how to use photoshop with my Bryce4 and Poser4 programs, heck, i would really just like to know how to use my Bryce4 and Poser4 programs well :-) SaNi

ClintH posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 7:29 AM

Sani, Hey, Not to bad! Keep working with the tools and experiment..Thats the best way to get better ..play play play. As far as a few tips on the pic. These are personal opinions of mine .. The girl on the beach needs to be brought down onto the beach a little more, she looks like she is floating..well maybe she really is, who knows. :) You can use Paint shop or Photo Shop to add some water splashes around the mid section of the man and woman in the water...would help to add realizim to the scene. I would remove the diving guy. I think the water might be a little shallow to dive in .. right where he is. Might bang his head in the sand.. :) Also use Photo shop to smudge out the blown joint on the females elbow. But dont get me wrong. These are just suggestions to help you look at your pic from a differant angle. I use my wife for that all the time. It really helps. Keep up the good work...play and experiment. Best regards, Clint - Ray Dreamers Forum

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Olias posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 8:29 AM

Hey Sanitarium, It's refreshing to hear that I'm not the ONLY dang newbie around here! And the ONLY one that does this for fun, not for profit (although I'd LOVE to do it for a living). Anyway, it's a very nice start indeed. And definitely do what Clint says...PLAY-PLAY-PLAY! I have learned more from Bryce that way than reading the manual! Plus, all the great tips and help and this forum. They are a great bunch of people and have much wisdom and insight to share. Take their "critsism" for what it is, i.e., constructive help. You'll go a long ways if you listen to these folks! Keep up the good work, and NEVER give up! -Olias-

Olias posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 8:36 AM

Clint, BTW...just how the heck does one create splashes etc., in Photoshop? I've always wanted to learn that and have failed miserably at it. Any hints? Or any tutorials on that in specific somewhere? Also, I've tried using the "Spiral" object in the Create Pallet (in the Mountains section) in Bryce for a ripple effect with absolute no luck. Arrrgh! How do people do this!?? Or, like make people's skin (arms & legs) look wet? Sorry for so many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Olias-

ClintH posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 8:46 AM

Olias, No problem with the questions at all. Well, I suck at 2D (post render) work. My wife does most of that end. She is a much better "Artist" than I. So I dont have a good answer on the water splashes. As far as making them look wet. A few things to try. Use a transparancy map with water drops on it and apply to the figure..maybe? Or bring up the highlight on the material. That might give them to much of a plastic look. To be honest I havent done much work with water. Water is a very very tough thing and I just havent had any requests, as far as commercial projects, to work with any water. I'm sure I;ll get a chance in the future. Sorry I dont have any good answer for ya on this. I guess if I make suggestions I should be able to back them up with a technique or something.. :) Oh well....time for me to play with water now (grin) Clint - Ray Dreamers Forum

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Olias posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 8:54 AM

Clint, Thanks for your honesty. No problem with lack of advice on splashes etc., as water is most definitely a very tricky item. I will continue to work on it and if I come up with anything worth while I will post it. I do know how to make a "pouring water" effect per Peter Sharpe's tutorial, using a lattice, but that's about it. BTW....if your wife would care to share any insights on the subject that would be terrific. Thanks again -Olias-

ScottK posted Tue, 21 September 1999 at 3:24 PM

Olias, This is a good start. Aside from the suggestions above, I would smooth the beach sand terrain so it wasn't so lumpy. Beaches tend to be flat. You could add a second terrain on top of and behind the beach sand with grass or rocks, mountains, trees, etc... your "altitude" terrains should be a bit more distant, and not made of sand. Splashes are tough. Since I've never been entirely successful, I'll refrain from offering suggestions, there. To make the people look wet, create a bump map with random noise as the bump. Then, import the map into Bryce and increase the specularity setting. This image: http://www.classicimpressions-me.com/scott/afnude.jpg uses that technique. There is only a very small amount of specularity on this pic. It could be increased to make the figure look "wetter." For larger droplets, use a "coarser" noise on the map. Hope this helps. -ScottK

Sanitarium posted Sat, 25 September 1999 at 2:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on the pic, Clint, i saw all the things you saw too, i just had no idea how to go about fixing them :-) the girl on the beach does look like she is floating, and nope, she isnt supposed to be hehehehe i must have repositioned her a dozen times before i gave up. I almost deleted this pic cuz i didnt think it had the realism i was looking for, but it took so long to render i figured i better keep it, well, that and the fact that my wife likes it...thanks for the advice, and i will most definitely keep playing playing playing!! SaNi