Forum: Vue

Subject: About the Poser import

MikeJ opened this issue on Jul 13, 2001 ยท 19 posts

MikeJ posted Fri, 13 July 2001 at 5:45 AM

Well, I've tried the .pz3 import, and was only once asked to locate Poser.exe, which is cool because I thought I'd have to do it every time. I've noticed that the models seem to be smoothed the same way in Vue 4 as they are in Poser, which is very cool. BUT, the object/body parts are grouped differently! I had a figure that was wearing glasses, and in Poser tha glasses were made up of the frame and the lenses. Obviously the lenses need to be transparent. But in Vue 4, that only showed up as one object, "glasses", making it impossible for me to make the lenses transparent in Vue 4. The lenses were transparent in Poser. No amount of UV mapping or texturing will handle that problem. Obviously, I can still import .obj and retain all the groups and materials, but then the smoothing on the model is the same old way. Also, an even worse problem is Vicki's eyeball material. A Vicki model imported as .obj has four materials per eye: eyeball (the damn "coating" material---whoever came up with that idea out to be...),eyewhite, iris and pupil, each of which can be textured separately. If you can't make the "eyeball" material transparent, it's just a completely opaque sphere around the eye which thoroughly hides all the important parts, making her look like some kind of a zombie. Some people like to make that material mostly transparent, with a little reflection, but I usually simply delete it, except for close-ups. However, when the .pz3 is imported of a Vicki character, all you get is "left eye" and "right eye" in Vue, all 4 parts merged. There is no way to make the "eyeball" material transparent, much less delete it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Overall I think the characters that are imported as .pz3 look better when rendered, but if you have any transparencies, forget it, unless it's one entire object. I know I can actually remove the eyeball material from the blmilwom.obj itself (with UV Mapper), where that wouldn't be a problem, but then I can't use some of the iris morphs I've made.