Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Some thoughts on textures...

soulhuntre opened this issue on Jul 23, 2001 ยท 18 posts

soulhuntre posted Mon, 23 July 2001 at 4:23 PM

Hey all! I want to discuss textures for a moment. Obviously, my work (photo-realistic human characters) depends heavily on the textures we use - in fact, good textures are the only reason we can do this at all. To that end, I think I have been pushing the "state of the art" with Poser for a month or two now getting more and more realism for our potential clients. It's going well. BUT - there is a dirty secret that I have to hide all the time... Necks look horrible. The interface between the body map and the head map is one of the weakest places for any texture - often the head has as many pixels in it as the entire body map - and while that is OK for face shots or for body only shots it is a serious problem at the seams. This is even more evident when the texture uses "speckles" or "spots" to create pseudo detail ont he texture - it looks good until the maps come together. This is one of the reasons why the Daz Hi-Res texture is one of the best around - there are very few "speckles" and instead the texture is ... smeared? Anyway - I just wanted to mention to the texture atists (and you guys are AMAZING!) that this area will be more and more of an issue as Poser standards get better and better. Thanks!