Forum: Bryce

Subject: Bryce 5 or something Else?

zorares opened this issue on Jul 27, 2001 ยท 6 posts

zorares posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 7:39 PM

I figured that enough time has gone by to ask: Should I pay the bucks for Bryce 5 or stick with Bryce 4 or go with another program? I've been a bryce user for quite some time now so I'd hate to have to learn another interface but...if there is something better...or if Bryce 5 is worth the $$$, I'll make the jump. Your opinions please...not to start a 3d software war or anything.

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

cowtoast posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 8:15 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=71604&Start=37&Sectionid=2&WhatsNew=Yes

Personally, I really like Bryce 5. Especially the tree lab (See link). But I didn't think of getting any other program when I bought Bryce 5, so.. I'm not sure about whether it's the best thing for you.

kaom posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 9:35 PM

It all depends on what your trying to accompolish with your 3D efforts. For a landscape scene designer, it really can't be beat for the price. If you're looking for a modelling application I would suggest Carrara, Bryce's distant cousin. Right now you can get Carrara, Amapi 5 and all the plugins for Carrara for $399 from eovia.com. But if a basic all around 3D program is what your after you will like Bryce 5. Again, it all depends on what your after.There are a lot of 3D tools out there for different purposes. I personally use Bryce strictly for Landscaping and abstract stuff, Carrara for scene building and modelling and Rhino for detailed precise modeling. I hope I havn't further confused you. Good Luck in your quest! kaom

zorares posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 9:53 PM

Well, currently I'm using AMAPI ;6.0 for modeling, Poser for figures, Bryce for overall scene composition. I even dabble a bit in Ray Dream and Carrara. Photoshop 6.0 for touchup. (Man, if my wife knew how much I've spent in software :< LOL. I enjoy Sci-fi and surreal stuff but as realistic as possible. I want the impossible to be believable.

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

kaom posted Sat, 28 July 2001 at 1:42 AM

zorares, With all the software you mentioned you use, you should be able to do some great things right now. If you can swing the Bryce 5 upgrade do it! It sounds like you should be able to make impossible believable with what you have. Pssst...... Don't ever let your wife know how much you spent on all your software, she'd kill you! If you do get Bryce 5, you will enjoy it and appreciate it's new features. Good luck, kaom

Jackson posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 12:27 PM

Hope I'm not too late to add my two cents. A month ago I faced the same dilema, zorares. I'd used B4 for a year and was unsure whether to upgrade to 5 or "sidegrade" to Vue 4 (B4 users can get Vue 4 for $169). But I, too, was worried about learning a new program. After seeing what the Bryce 5 upgrade offered over Bryce 4, I decided to go with Vue. And, man am I glad I did! It's a fantastic program and there was almost no learning curve. I'm not going to waste space here spouting Vue's virtues, just take a stroll through the Vue forum. Look for a thread titled "Why do you like vue over bryce," (or something like that). It was posted last week and it will explain everything.