Forum: Animation

Subject: MPEG BLUES

Colm_Jackson opened this issue on Oct 13, 1999 ยท 4 posts

Colm_Jackson posted Wed, 13 October 1999 at 11:11 AM

Hi Guy's,... I have been steadily getting into animation for the last few months. I am having a problem finding some sort of Utilitiy to convert Quicktime movies into Mpeg movies. I have 'Lsx Mpeg' encoder for converting AVI's into mpegs and that is fine but I seem to get better overall results with Quicktime using the Sorenson codec. Most of my stuff is about 2mins in length which is giving me about 88mb sive files at 512x256 resolution. I really would like to have smaller files to distribute on the web. Anyone got any suggestions... Cheers, Colm...

pack posted Thu, 14 October 1999 at 2:15 PM

The resolution you use is too much for 56k. Mpeg definitely give the greatest compression. I am very happy with Digigami's MegaPeg. Cost me $99 with the special included for upgrading to Adobe Premiere 5.2. I think that MPEG quality depends alot on what compressor you use. Is better than Bink, Real G2, Avi2Mpeg, or Quicktime IMO. If you're careful about minimizing screen movement Real Video works OK. It's free & the audio is very good. See http://members.xoom.com/jercady/Poserstuff.html for samples. Remember that 720x480 hardware compressed/decompressed video draws about 5Mbytes/sec (or 40Mbits per sec/bps using modem terms). 56k is a joke in terms of bandwidth. See my home page for examples using poser. With Real Player. Sorry no Mpeg samples at this time on my page. regards, Pack

Colm_Jackson posted Fri, 15 October 1999 at 4:10 AM

Thanks Pack... I am going to give 'Real' a shot... Colm.

ChrisD posted Fri, 29 October 1999 at 6:16 AM

hmmm... I don't think that you've really looked at Bink if you can claim that Mpeg gives better results. It's just not the case. Mpeg, however, has a much wider audience so it's still the better option for getting people to watch your stuff! Chris