Forum: Vue

Subject: Appearance of 'freeze' while rendering

agiel opened this issue on Jul 31, 2001 ยท 6 posts

agiel posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 11:38 PM

Something I just picked up : I have been trying different settings of rendering to get a good compromise between image size and rendering time (I am typing this on my work laptop while my main machine is 'thinking' for another 18h or so). Anyway, I had to cancel previous rendering in Ultra or User settings because windows froze.. or so it seemed. On such long renders, there are times where the num-lock key does not react, and where a list of running tasks show vue as 'not responding'. I decided to let it run anyway and surprise, vue was still alive. Conclusion: do not necessarily believe windows duiring big renders.

agiel posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 11:43 PM

I should add I had to clean up my system to reduce real freezes : - no screensaver - no hard drive turned off (energy saving) - no other task running On a bright side, it big renders give me a chance to take a break from the computer from time to time :)

Varian posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 12:06 AM

Good tip, Laurent! I too have seen Vue working even when it appears to have vanished into a black hole; most usually, it's still plucking away. :)

tesign posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 6:39 AM

LOL!...not surprising even for large obj files...I waited almost 35 mins for one to show up. The best part is that once its in, save it as a VOB, the file size is not much of a difference but it load in less then a minute. Vue must be doing its own 'programing'....LOL!

agiel posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 12:08 PM

I wish they could come up with a better way to monitor the progress of rendering. For example, showing the current line being rendered instead of just a % (even just a line number would be enough). Something like : rendering like 325 of 600. Is there some kind of wish list for vue 5 like they have in the poser forum ? :)

Varian posted Wed, 01 August 2001 at 1:25 PM

Cool idea, perhaps we should start one here. But let's wait a couple months first. Let the poor E-on guys have a chance to catch their breath - lol ;)