Forum: Bryce

Subject: multiple P4 figures In B4?

nerd opened this issue on Oct 17, 1999 ยท 10 posts

nerd posted Sun, 17 October 1999 at 6:34 PM Forum Moderator

I need to import several P4 figures into bryce. I though I'd take a shortcut and pose them all and just move them wholesale fasion to bryce. The trouble is that they all got the same part names. so, when I select a Left Forearm I get ALL the left forarms. They are not grouped. It's like bryce thinks they are 1 mesh. Any ideas besides importing everything one at a time.

nerd posted Mon, 18 October 1999 at 2:40 PM Forum Moderator

That's what I did. I dunno I'll try it some diffrent ways and see what I get. I may be a poser problem, because the poser file I'm using is doing some strange stuff.

JetM posted Tue, 19 October 1999 at 10:14 PM

Well, nerd, I get the same thing you do. The only solution I've come up with was to put two prop type boxes at the far corners of the scene (x,y & z) and export each singly figure as a different OBJ with those boxes. When I import them in Bryce, because they're at the far corners, the boxes line up. i can then delete the boxes and my pose is intact. It's a drawn out and irritating process but it's all I've gotten to work. If anyone else has a better way, I'm anxious to hear it.

Anthony Appleyard posted Sat, 23 October 1999 at 4:04 AM

two prop type boxes at the far corners of the scene (x,y & z) i.e. one at (xmax, ymax, zmax) and the other at {xminx ymin, zmin}. One thing useful would be, when Poser exports an .OBJ file and Bryce imports it, dor Poser to be able to prodice and Bryce to be able to read special .OBJ-language comment lines like e.g. #begingroup 1 man1 .... #endgroup 1 #begingroup 1 alien2 .... #endgroup 1 to make a tree structure of groups of groups. where the 1's are nesting levels.

nerd posted Sun, 24 October 1999 at 12:01 AM Forum Moderator

Setting props at the edges works great. It's not nearly as big a pain as I thought it would be. In fact Because I was handling the figures one as a time I think it was easier to workout all the textures and groups. I even simplified your technique further. I used two great big boxes one above and one below. Scaled to be about this >< thick and wide and long enough to cover the whole scene.

ecockrell posted Wed, 27 October 1999 at 8:51 PM

I usually put each poser character in it's own bryce file. I do this to get all the textures, etc corrected before I more on. Then when I have one bryce file for each character I create a bryce file for the whole scene and then merge all the other bryce files with my characters. This can take a lot of disk space, but it sure eliminates the problem with trying to work with those individual body parts.

LoboUK posted Thu, 28 October 1999 at 5:31 AM

I use the old box in the corner technique too. I've found it's by far the easiest method of getting multiple figures to align

nerd posted Thu, 28 October 1999 at 1:00 PM Forum Moderator

Check out my "Natural Disaster". It was put together using this technique. All the figures were Placed using poser. Then I put Two great big boxes above and below the scene. I scaled them to be wide and deep enough to cover everything, but only a pinch tall. Then I exported each figure with the guide boxes to .obj. Next, I imported each one to a seperate bryce file, deleted the boxes and fixed all the textures. Finally I merged all the bryce files and put in the ground planes. Now for a question. Isn't there some way to scale textures in bryce? I thought I saw it someplace. the Cement and street need a finer texture. All I need to do is scale it down.

JetM posted Fri, 29 October 1999 at 1:15 AM

Isn't it funny the things we have to come up with to make things work? But, hey, if it works, it works, right? Glad I could help. As far as your other question, to scale a Bryce texture, go into the Materials editor. Ok, so you've chosen the texture in the ABCD line at the left of the screen (forgive me, I haven't got it open and I forget the proper names for these things. I try and make it obvious what I'm talking about). Ok, so if your texture or material is in A, click the first button in the top left corner of the A box. The editor comes up. Remember this when you had to turn the Poser textures for P3 180 degrees? Ok, the top set of xyz is for sizing (it looks just like the sizing for objects). Ok, I have no idea if that makes any sense but I hope it does. happy brycing!!!

nerd posted Fri, 29 October 1999 at 1:40 AM Forum Moderator

Actually I don't remember P3, I just got Bryce. Figures the first scene I try to do has 6 Poser figures in it. I just can't start in the shallow end! Thanks to all for your input!