Forum: Vue

Subject: Boolean operation on complex meshes ?

agiel opened this issue on Aug 06, 2001 ยท 8 posts

agiel posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 9:13 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=74501&Start=1&Artist=agiel&ByArtist=Yes

While I was working on my latest scene, I tried to turn the head into a mask by removing a cube or a cylinder from the back of the head (boolean difference). All I got was a lot of polygon removed from the FRONT of the face as well - around the jaw especially. Anybody found a way to get around this problem ? The face is Mike's head imported from poser.

dolly posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:23 AM

I dont know if you can when i want to do something like this i put it through a 3d prog like amapi

MikeJ posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:23 AM

I've actually never tried it, but it was brought up not too long ago, by I think Rich (Axe555)...

MikeJ posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=350040

Yeah, here's a link to that thread. I hope this can help you.

agiel posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for the answers and the link. I will try this out tonight. If it doesnt work, I can still try to play with the transmap.

Axe555 posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 3:52 PM

My experiments with this have been completely unsuccessful (sp?) I think it was bloodsong that suggested using transmaps to fake the effect and I really think thats the only way ( I was using P4 Nude woman). If you do have any success I'd sure like to hear about it. Anyway, good luck!! Rich

agiel posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:03 PM

I played with this problem a little more tonight. I even tried to save the object as a vob file (I thought maybe Vue would handle intersections better with its own format). My conclusion : transmaps are the way to go. I will post my experiment when it is done rendering (still another 6 hours at least). I also noted something funny : - take an object in vue (ex. the head of a poser character) - duplicate it (but do not move it) - apply a transmap to reveal one half of the first object - apply a transmap to reveal the other half of the duplicate You would expect to get a full object, made of two 'halves' and the rest hidden by the transmaps.... wrong. The duplicate remains completely invisible until you move it a little.

aspirantnemo posted Tue, 07 August 2001 at 11:14 AM

The simple way : Boolean Intersection instead of difference. For your example, if your secondly selected object is a cube, make and place it so as the part of the head you want to keep is enclosed. It's a kind of inverse bol subst. but in my experience there's fewer computer errors with intersections. Herv