Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Help me understand- poser!

Micheleh opened this issue on Aug 22, 2001 ยท 7 posts

Micheleh posted Wed, 22 August 2001 at 2:44 PM

I have owned Poser for about 3 months now- not that I've given it my total attention, so I am just beginning. There is one thing, however, that really bothers me. Maybe it's just my inexperience with the program, but it just doesn't seem right. Manipulation of parts in Poser is done by selecting a particular part and transforming it- pull, twist, whatever. This seeems to me to be awkward and terribly inefficient. Why isn't the motion controlled by manipulating the joint intersections? If this were the case, it would be easy to add sensible motion limits- for instance, a "knee" joint could be limited to lateral motion with a range of 0-160 posterior. Of course, this would mean that a more accurate bone system would have to be used. And if they were determined to use the groups for manipulation, well, just make it more realistic- for instance, in the upper leg, have an anterior and posterior section, with the only manipulation as "contract" or "expand"- just like a real muscle group- to properly position body sections. These are just suggestions- I'm no programming guru- but the current system seems to have little to do with real human anatomy. There seems to be little in the way of realistic constraint in Poser- I admire anyone who can get a sensible pose with such a terribly inefficient system. It's ridiculously easy to ruin a figure, and with only one undo (nonsense!) too easy to ruin hours of work. I would have happily returned the whole thing, if that weren't so difficult. Do these things bother anyone else? I like the whole concept behind poser, I just think it needs a complete overhaul of the bone and grouping systems. What do you think?