Forum: Vue

Subject: Volumetric strangeness?

zoon opened this issue on Sep 17, 2001 ยท 13 posts

zoon posted Mon, 17 September 2001 at 12:11 PM

Here is a message I have just sent to e-on: "I made a volumetric atmosphere, had the sun in the frame, and placed a test object in its path. I got volumetric shadows. The problem is, I have rendered this simple scene with volumetric intensity for the sun set to 0.1, and set to 10, and I can find absolutely no difference in the two images. I've done lots of set-ups, and every pair I render, the volumetric intensity setting seems to have no effect. When I take the sun out of the frame, and put a new directional light in the frame, I can't get ANY volumetric shadows from this light. Spots and point lights work perfectly. Am I not understanding something - maybe. I went to check this on my work machine which still has 4.00 on it, and found the same thing, and also on my laptop running 4.02." Anyone tried this - spot lights give a vast change when I alter the volumetric intensity, but the sun gives no change, and directional lights give nothing.

Kurka posted Mon, 17 September 2001 at 1:06 PM

Same here,- Fernando.

Cheers posted Mon, 17 September 2001 at 2:00 PM

Try changing the shadow intensity beyond 100%..you will find that the shadows cast will be more noticable then. Hope that helps, Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Cheers posted Mon, 17 September 2001 at 2:04 PM

Sorry...forgot to post the image. Cheers

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

gebe posted Mon, 17 September 2001 at 2:15 PM

Same for me, Adrian. I have told this already to Nicholas when we was at end beta and again when Vue 4 just came out and I did what Cheers is mentioning above. Nicholas told me that it is a nonsense to bring up shadow to 200, 300 (or even more) and out of any logic. Normally I agree, but technically there seems no other way to get it. Guitta

zoon posted Wed, 19 September 2001 at 12:14 PM

I'm glad its not just me. I take the point about typing in values above 100, this works for many Vue functions, but what do we do if we want to reduce the intensity?

gebe posted Wed, 19 September 2001 at 12:56 PM

You mean redouce shadows ?

gebe posted Wed, 19 September 2001 at 12:59 PM

or intensity of the sun ?

zoon posted Wed, 19 September 2001 at 1:05 PM

I mean reduce intensity of the shadows. I found that 0.1 was exactly the same as 100. Ho hum.

Cheers posted Wed, 19 September 2001 at 2:08 PM

If you mean the intensity of the shadows that fall on objects, then the best way is to start your scenes (any scenes in any software) with 0% Ambience assigned to the materials of all objects, and in Vue also set the light balance to 100% in the Light tab of the Atmosphere Editor (this setting option will control shadow darkness). The strength of shadows should always be adjusted with fill-in lights for greater or more realistic control...unless you have access to radiosity within the software. Cheers

YouTube Channel

zoon posted Thu, 20 September 2001 at 12:32 PM

Thanks cheers, but that's not what I'm looking at. The 'problem' is the shadows cast in the air in a volumetric atmosphere. Here is a pic with vol intensity set to 100. The next message contains the same pic set to 0.1. Can you spot the difference?

zoon posted Thu, 20 September 2001 at 12:33 PM

here is the pic with volumetric intensity set to 0.1

Cheers posted Thu, 20 September 2001 at 12:50 PM

Okay zoon, Looks like you have a bug there. There does seem to be little point in having settings that don't work below 100%. The only other suggestion I can come up with is to turn down the haze and/or fog in the atmosphere editor, to lessen the contrast. Obviously that may have other less desirable effects elsewhere in your render :( Cheers

YouTube Channel