Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are you all tired of me yet? Got another question???

dancineyes opened this issue on Sep 24, 2001 ยท 10 posts

dancineyes posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 8:45 PM

Ok, I have downloaded tons of stuff from the Free stuff section BUT half the time it doesn't seem to work? I keep getting this *** Bald guy that is shrugging his shoulders *** Boy how I would like to pose HIM! Anyway these are the steps that I use. Please tell me where I'm going wrong. I want to download the Indoor Pool that is offered in the Free Stuff. I tells me it has .pp2, .rsr files, Textures Incld. OK, now I normally would download the Prop, Extract it to my C Drive, go to Program files, then Metacreations, Poser 4, Runtime, Libraries, Prop, and then put it in a group I made called Renderosity. (Gee, imagine that?) Now I'm not saying that this is one that will do it but out of probably 20 or so downloads I have maybe 4 of them that I can see and use. So chances are when I go to download this file it will probably do the same thing. It does it for hair, and props the most. Someone told me that it was that there was no preview images avail. but even when I click on the shrugging bald guy I get a WARNING: can not open and then it list the whole path I used to save the file. When I try and remove the Shrugging bald guy he again tells me something about WARNING: can locate and list the path I used to save the file. Does any of this make sense? I tried to give you step by step what I'm doing and what errors I get. Sorry it took so long. I'm wanting to create a room in Poser but if I can't use the props I've downloaded I don't think I will have much success. Any help would once again be greatly appreciated. I had no problem saving props to Bryce so I can't figure out what I doing wrong now.... :) Dancineyes

Cheryle posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 8:49 PM

it cant be any mor ethan one folder deep in your directories ex: pser/runtime/libraries/props/rosity/ it should be loose in your rosity folder. hope this helps?

dancineyes posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 8:54 PM

That just it 90% of the time I'll open the rosity folder and there is nothing there. I just don't get it?

Ms_Outlaw posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 9:13 PM

First off, always read the readme file that comes with any file. Usually they tell you exactly how to install. And sometimes they don't have a rsr file so you get the shrugging man. It's okay, it's there. Click it... when it comes up, resave it with the same name and it will save with a picture. I love your attempt at keeping things neat and tidy in your folders... but guarantee that won't last. Some will only work if in specific folders. Short of editing the files which isn't something a newby should try... I haven't even. You will get a ton of folders scattered all over the place. ~G~ Have fun.

trails2rails posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 9:21 PM

One tiny suggestion... when posting a question, use the title to describe the question. This way when the rest of us have the same question or a related question we can quickly zoom in and find the answers... cheers,

Cheryle posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 9:27 PM

check and see if you have a duplicate directory-if you bought something frrom daz or some people set their zips up to unzip to curious labs poser- if it doesnt find the curious labs- it may set up a duplicate directory and your stuff may be going into the wrong directory.

markdotcom posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 9:31 PM

I have my Poser installed on a Win2K partition (E:poser) and I've recently noticed that a lot of DAZ installers go straight to the c:program filesmetacreationsposer directory and that is wrong wrong wrong! Not even the right drive, guys! Anywho, I'm not sure if you're extracting the files THEN moving them into the props/renderosity folder or if you're extracting straight to the props/renderosity. If the case is the latter, your extracting app (or the installer/exe) may be recreating the poser folder structure within that props folder in an attempt to install all the files to the right place. I know I could explain that better, but its been a long day! If this isn't what's happening (and the more I think about it, it probably isn't), at least it'll be a nice heads up for later on. Another possibility is the free item is simply corrupt. Quite a few things I've downloaded from here don't work at all. A good example is the "Athletic Models" (I forget the artist/creator). I downloaded them from the Free Stuff link... and the zip is corrupt. Downloaded the same file directly from the artist's homepage, and they work like a charm. If the files here aren't working, see if the file is available elsewhere

shadowcat posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 10:37 PM

Just because you get the shrugging guy, doesn't mean the item won't work, it just means that there is no .rsr file for it. quickie explain - there are 2 types of .rsr files, the first type will be found parnered with an .obj file in the geometries section, this is a shorthand version of the .obj itself. The second type gives you the thumbnail for your library and will be in the library section partnered with the .cr2, .pp2, hr2, etc. Also if you had winzip auto extract to the proper location, it may have thrown in some extra folders as in the following example: runtime/geometries/needs_to_be_in_here/runtime/geometries/where_it_is/thefile.obj all you need to do is copy and paste the file in order to get: runtime/geometries/needs_to_be_in_here/thefile.obj

X-perimentalman posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 11:08 PM

poser paths are case senstive, and location sensitive. so when you get the warning can;t open message, write it down exactly, as it says, and then make sure your path on your drive, is identical to the path poser is looking for, in every way, and it will open

leather-guy posted Mon, 24 September 2001 at 11:47 PM

When I get the can't find ...(path)... message, I immediately (without closing poser) click on start->find->files or folders to call up the file finder window, make sure the Lookin Window shows the drive that poser is on, type the exact name of the file in the Named box, & let Windows hunt it down for me. If no matches are found, that's a strong clue why poser can't find it; if the file is found, I verify the location is correct. in nearly all cases, the path is wrong (be sure to check the spelling & case of all the folders in the path.) If the path is wrong, often I can create the proper folder & move the file there, so Poser can find it & finish loading. Also, there are 3 or 4 tutorials & documents available that list the Poser extentions & where/how to place them. I print out a couple for quick reference & keep them on hand whenever I have a "I gotta finlly install all this Great Poser STUFF!!!!" marathon. A lot of the readme's that are included in many downloads have very precise instructions on file placement, too, although if you accept the default in many cases you end up with dozens of prop or figure folders in pretty short order, many with only one item in them. - There's also a free download here called P3DOExplorer that helps a lot in re-organizing the folders more intelligently, once you're familiar enough with file types to know which you can relocate with impunity.