Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Help with Poser accuracy/coordinates/units

chronic1 opened this issue on Nov 16, 2001 ยท 9 posts

chronic1 posted Fri, 16 November 2001 at 3:43 PM

Hey all, I am new to Poser (I've had it for 2 whole days!) and have a few questions regarding accuracy. To preface this, I am a freelance draftsman/designer (10+ years) by trade and I am used to drafting and design programs like AutoCAD, 3D Studio, Accurender and the like. I mainly purchased Poser for use in posing figures for 3D scenes created and render within AutoCAD using a third party rendering engine. I currently have a 3D project for a large material handling firm in which I need to pose some figures operating and interacting with equipment. I have already created the equipment models in real world units in CAD and am now confronted with the issue of aligning my figures with the equipment. First I exported an unposed figure in 3DS format, which I then imported into AutoCAD. I discovered the figure (in this case I used the ideal female, equal rights ya know) is less than one inch in height. Knowing this, I decided to export the equipment model from CAD and import into Poser for use as a template for character alignment. After importing, I attempted to scale the equipment to suit the character scale. When I scaled the props, I found that the parameter dials leave a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy. I can spin them just a bit, the props change size, but the numeric readout doesn't change. I am used to having more control over my models due to my experience with other design software. To make a long story short (if that's possible now), I was wondering if there are some hidden settings for accuracy, coordinate readout, or modeling units. Or am I basically screwed.....any insight would be appreciated...