Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser and Premiere, image resolution issues

markdotcom opened this issue on Nov 26, 2001 ยท 6 posts

markdotcom posted Mon, 26 November 2001 at 5:06 AM

I'm using Poser 4 and Adobe Premiere 6, video output to a NTSC monitor. I've imported some test AVI animations for my Poser movie project into Premiere, which were rendered at 720x480, 72 pixels/inch. This is the resolution that my Premiere project is set up for, but the Poser renders get stretched vertically once they've been rendered on the project timeline. However, if I capture video in Premiere from my VCR, the images are indeed 720x480 (according to all my programs) and they look perfect on the NTSC monitor when imported into my Poser project! Does the pixel/inch setting come into play here? When I look at the 720x480 Poser renders, they are obviously too wide, wider than the movie captures that are supposedly the same resolution. Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

markdotcom posted Mon, 26 November 2001 at 5:13 AM

To further clarify, I'm just looking for the "perfect" resolution for my renders so the image is not distorted in any way. The 720x480 ratio isn't right, so I guess THAT's what I'm really looking for; the perfect ratio. Tried to explain it the best I could! Surely someone else has experimented with this program combination.

Krel posted Mon, 26 November 2001 at 6:13 AM

I work with the MPEG-1 format a lot; to create a Poser animation that conforms to VideoCD (MPEG-1), the final product must be 352X240 (White Book specification). So, to achieve this I double it (the window size) in Poser (704X480), then select half size when creating the AVI movie. This works out as a full-screen video clip and can be used to burn a VideoCD disc. A VideoCD disc will play on your computer and in a DVD player (with CDR capability). I'm still using Premiere 4.2. Unless you are editing the clip you really don't need to use Premiere, but you do need to encode the clip to the conforming standard you need. I use a freeware app called AVI2VCD. MPEG-2 (DVD quality) is another matter and I don't have this capability. However the principles should be the same. Just research what the specification is for that format. Then there is also the Super VideoCD format, I believe the same as DVD......... Hope this helps. Krel

Krel posted Mon, 26 November 2001 at 6:17 AM

BTW, for best quality, export your movie from Poser as uncompressed........don't select a codec...... Krel

gryffnn posted Mon, 26 November 2001 at 6:52 AM

Haven't worked with Poser and video for months, so this is just off the top of my head. With DV it has to do with square vs. non-square pixels. As I recall, I rendered the animation as a series of stills at 720x540 pixels, resized to 720x480 in Photoshop, and the squished images looked normal in the video. HTH

markdotcom posted Mon, 26 November 2001 at 9:39 PM

Thanks so much the suggestions and information! This should get me going. I didn't know VCDs would play in DVD players... something new to play with this week! Thanks again; much appreciated!