Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free copy of Poser 3!!

sueya opened this issue on Dec 07, 2001 ยท 15 posts

sueya posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 6:47 AM

I have just heard from Computer Arts Magazine that they will be giving away a copy of Poser 3 with their January edition. Please can someone tell me if all the free stuff which is available through Renderosity is compatible with Poser 3?

stallion posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 7:16 AM

Very few items are now compatable with P3 however at the very end of the free stuff section is quite a bit of P3 items most of the items uploaded pre 1999 and early 2000 should be P3 compatible Happyworld land (link at bottom) still have P3 female textures and other good P3 textures

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Atrice posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 8:49 AM

I was ecstatic when I heard this news as I'm trying to save for so many pieces of software and can't afford half of them. You've kind of burst my bubble a bit stallion. I know there aren't too many textures or morphs around for P3 figures but I was hoping that I could purchase Mike, Vicky or Dina once I'd got the hang of using the prog. Won't they work in P3? It would still be a good grounding in Poser and is a great freebie but it'll be pretty limited if you can't get any decent figures. Baz

saxon posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 9:32 AM

I seem to remember the earlier versions of Eve worked well in P3, she's free and pre-dates Vicky.

stallion posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 10:46 AM

I don't know if Mike or Vickie will work in P3 they should since you get the OBJ however the functionality you will miss like conforming, Transparancy for eye lashes or see through figures/props but you should be able to find enough to get a good understanding of poser don't get me wrong they are out there go to free stuff goto last and work back that way you can get a good feel of whats there, also 3D-CCand a few others have good P3 stuff. regarding clothes for stills you can parent to the figure but for animation no good (been there done that;-)most props for P4 will work in P3 so for Free it sounds like a good deal

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

duanemoody posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 12:12 PM

To reiterate the above: P3 characters either come clothed or nude. Conforming clothes you could add yourself didn't come until P4. I'd say get the freebie version so you can practice basic posing, lighting, rendering... Then buy the upgrade if you're eligible.

PhilC posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 12:13 PM

Attached Link: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pcooke/examples.htm

My old site is still on line. Everything on it is free and compatible with Poser 3

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

RHaseltine posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 12:52 PM

These give-aways are intended to promote the full product, so there is invariably (he says) an upgrade offer in the magazine. As you are willing to consider buying V&M, and assuming you live in an eligible region (I think the Freehand upgrade was valid throughout the EU?), it should be worthwhile even if you can't find much stuff for P3.

duanemoody posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 2:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pcooke/graphics/examples.htm

This is the correct URL for his older stuff.

Atrice posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for the info everyone I'll be counting the days till the mag comes out! Baz

PhilC posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 6:21 PM

Thanks duanemoody. They say that the memory is the first thing to go :)

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

duanemoody posted Fri, 07 December 2001 at 10:23 PM

After six years with a PowerMac 7500, needing to add 256M virtual memory, I'm the first to agree. Bought an excellent digital camera and printer to match, then learned I didn't have enough internal disk cachespace to spool more than one page. OTOH I can now make hi-res crisp prints of my Poser renders.

Phantast posted Sun, 09 December 2001 at 5:21 AM

P3 also came free with 3DWorld magazine over a year ago.

duanemoody posted Sun, 09 December 2001 at 1:21 PM

Which was impossible to purchase from their back-issue webpage.

nomuse posted Mon, 10 December 2001 at 1:23 AM

I have to object to the tenor of the comments on Poser 3. There are work-arounds for most of the limitations; you can indeed costume, morph, download a custom character or figure, and so forth. It merely takes more searching and more time. (That said, I'm happy I upgraded. My time is rather less than I'd like, these days ^_^;;) Got my copy of P3 through 3dWorld, also.