Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Tired of Searching Thru a Pile of Zip Files??? Get this Freebie ;)

TheWolfWithin opened this issue on Dec 12, 2001 ยท 12 posts

TheWolfWithin posted Wed, 12 December 2001 at 11:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77516,00.html

if any of you, like myself, have bazillions of FreeStuff files and other archived goodies, it's easy for oen to stumble upon a situation like this: "dammit......i KNOW i have a morph for Alien Eyes.......SOMEWHERE........." it's tucked away in a zip file that gives you no clue as to its contents.....Traveler's morphs (bread and butter of the gods, they are) come in archives with names like "fembodypack32.zip".......which is only sensible, being as it would be ridiculous to give it a name stating each morph that was contained in it.....with ZipView, you right-click, choose Properties, and there will be an extra tab that says "Contents"......on this tab is a complete list of what's in the zip file.....just thought someone might find this useful ;) also, i found a screensaver that allows one to use multiple bmps to create an animated screensaver.......this could be pretty damned nifty as well........ http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77367,00.html

ronknights posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 9:47 AM

Here's a quote from their site that doen't make it look too promising. It says it is an extension for Windows 95. Heck that's 6 years old!!! "ZipView is an extension to the Windows 95 shell that makes working with ZIP files easier. It adds a Contents page to a ZIP file's property sheet that displays the file's contents. This program was first published in PC Magazine on Dec 19, 1995." I downloaded it. Maybe I'll get the guts to try it with Windows XP. I use Power Desk Utilities, and it allows me to look inside zip files... I can even load readme files. ThumbsPlus lets me look at any thumbnails inside zip files. Hmm, so maybe I don't need zipview?

nikitacreed posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 9:48 AM

Oooh! Thank you for the link! I could really use this little utility. :o)

ronknights posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 9:58 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/

Hey, do you want a great FREE utility that will do all that and more? Follow the provided link and get Powerdesk 4. I use "Powerdesk Pro," which has lots of extra features that I don't use....That is pretty inexpensive too.

praxis22 posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 10:44 AM

Hi, Xp does this out of the box, suprised the hell out of me, as I was part way through rebuilding my laptop at the time and had lots of zips "on-line" fairly slick! I didn't even have winzip installed at the time either, which was why I noticed :) later jb

nfredman posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 11:05 AM

Has anyone ever tried ArDex from vistainternetproducts.com? It seems to create a database of files that can span CDs and other removable media.

nyar1ath0tep posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 12:50 PM

For Mac OS, software like Stuffit, Zipit and MacLinkPlus can scan and list the contents of a zip archive.

Swannie posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 12:56 PM

Attached Link: http://www.theattic.nl

Erm, "ordinary" Winzip does view to content of your zipfile also. No need for any special program. Just a right mousebutton click and click on "Extract to..." It will let you choose the folder where you want it extracted to, but also it will show you what's inside the zipfile. You can even view images if they're inside. Why run more programs than needed? Finest regards, Johnnie...

ronknights posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 2:57 PM

I have to disagree on Windows XP allowing me to look inside zip files. I just fiddled a lot to figure how to get rid of the god-awful large icon view, then I clicked on a zipped folder. I saw nothing inside. I stand by PowerDesk 4. This handles all your file management and has built-in zip support. You can look inside zipped folders, and see it all. You can zip and unzip. Powerdesk 4 or Powerdesk Utilities is the way to fly.

TheWolfWithin posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 6:43 PM

well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............

TheWolfWithin posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 6:52 PM

btw, anyone who MIGHT be interested.......i'm running Win98SE, and it works fine for me........so being a Win95 program isn't that big a thing....... ;) i tried PowerDesk once, but it had quite a bit more than i needed......ZipView is pretty small, and provides that one small thing that i wanted......seeing what's in a zip file WITHOUT opening it by any means, even by right clicking and choosing Extract To........

Angel Michael posted Fri, 14 December 2001 at 3:15 PM

Thanks Wolf, it does look promising.