Forum: Photography

Subject: needs comments on this

Hardwick opened this issue on Dec 26, 2001 ยท 26 posts

Hardwick posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 8:42 AM

Needs some comments on this 2 sunsets they are taken whit a nikon F90x and Fuji velvia iso 50 and a cir-polarizing filtre.

Hardwick posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 8:48 AM

here is the secon one. The big mistake on this one was that i didnt bring the tripod :(

Finder posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 11:37 AM

I've read everywhere that as a general rule, you're not supposed to cut a frame in half with a horizon -- they say you should put the horizon one third of the way from the top, or a third from the bottom. It's a tough call on these, though -- make them water-heavy, or sky-heavy. I don't know about that rule....

Finder posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 11:43 AM

Hey -- another thing, Hardwick: What's with these 'circular' polorizers? I've read that they're the only kind that will work with certain auto-focus systems (or was that exposure metering systems?), but what I'm wondering is this; does being 'circular' mean that you don't have to adjust the angle of polarization for each shot, like the one I have?

bevchiron posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 11:53 AM

The second one is amazing, I'm sure I can hear the sea with all that movement & space! This one is so much more than just a sunset, the first is nice I like the drama in it but it not so original as the second one (IMHO) : )

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

Hardwick posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 12:05 PM

Ya i know about that rule but sometimes its nice to have the pic split in half with water and sky....... Cir-pol filtres i think only works whit auto focus The angle you have to adjust for every shoot if you just move the camera a litle bit. hmmmm think thats the best i can explain it.

NBD posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 1:27 PM

Attached Link: http://www.patrickroach.com

The first one is relatively easy to mimic in Bryce the second one is not so simple to mimic and the wave motion is very good. PRPA uses water based images from time to time. NBD

nplus posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 3:15 PM

Well you brought it up, so here goes....Always use a tripod for this kind of work. (especially windy beaches) Now with that said, nice work. About the composition thing. I would have preferred a non-symmetrical split. Probably with more emphasis on the sky...unless you had something of interest in the foreground to lead you through the frame. Your polarizer, in the first shot was useless (if my theory serves me right) as a polarizer will only make a differnce at an angle of 90 deg. from the sun (northern and southern skies) Someone correct me if I am mistaken....Alpha? Although polarizers can also be used as neutral density filters. If you like to shoot this kind of image, I would look into purchasing some graduated neutral density filters. (darken the sky and keep the foreground lighter) Or you can(with a tripod) take 2 shots of the same image. One perfect exposure from the sky and another perfect exposure from the ground.... then photoshop comes into play. I think I've gone on long enough. I hope you find my rambling helpful. Keep em coming.

Hardwick posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 3:41 PM

thats correct the best results you will get in a 90 deg angle from the sun. does anybody know if cokin makes ND filtres? will add more pics in the spring when i gets back from my photo vaction in Au. see you all in the spring

Michelle A. posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 4:49 PM

Yes Cokin makes ND filters...they are ND2 #152, ND4 #153, and ND8 #154.

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Finder posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 6:49 PM

Hardwick: Whadd'ya mean, "When I get Back"! Don't they have INTERNET there?

Maygen posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 9:27 PM

beautiful photos!

Hardwick posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 2:47 AM

sure they have inet but i will not be online that much, probably online checking the mail.

PunkClown posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 7:20 AM

Great images, the second one is really nice. As a rule, I hate rules, I like what Alpha said about guidlines....be aware of them, but don't let them dictate! Show em who's boss. ;-)>

Syyd posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 10:28 AM

Both are actually very beautiful.....the second is amazing I think because visually we are drawn right to the center immediately....(well at least that is where my eyes went anyway), and the color is something else in both of them. The thirds rule is a rule, and a good one, often times you find that it just happens.....

brittmccary posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 7:53 PM

I've gone back to these a LOT of times today. And I've read some of the responses, - about the composition, - escpecially of the picture #2. Frankly... your first picture shows a beautiful!!!! sunset. But the nature has the composition of it. Not you. Does that make any sense??? Your second picture is excellent! In my mind. No, - you're not cutting the picture in "two" with the horizon. Maybe if you use a ruler, - it would show that it's very close to the "center". But the pink tones makes the whole difference, - also composition and layout-wise. The pink visually draws the sea "up-wards" so that it apeears larger than the sky. And Oh, - my that wave was just "smack" where it needed to be! Very nice! Very, very nice! :) Britt

Finder posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 8:55 PM

Britt: Ya'know, the more I look at it... That second one is something, huh? The pink from that little stripe across the horizon is perfectly, boldly picked up in the spray from that wave. And the wave is in the perfect position.. uh, condition. Hey Hardwick: you took about a dozen shots to get that wave right, right? With, like, eleven duds?

Hardwick posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 1:56 AM

Attached Link: http://www.gotlands.nu/dag

Happy to hear all the good respons on my pictures :) Yes i took alot of shots to get this on, think i did take 24 shot on it and the result was 3 very nice pic,can ad the other 2 when im getting back from my vaction. I wish everbody here a happy new year. Regards Daniel (Hardwick)

JordyArt posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 2:40 PM

Nice pics - especially that wave. Having been out there myself a couple of months ago in the rain like 10 feet away from the ragin sods I really appreciate the skill in that one. And imo it totally screws up the thirds rule coz it's a great exception. (",) Mike

Misha883 posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 3:57 PM

I just wanted to see what it WOULD look like...

Rork1973 posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 8:29 PM

silly bit of adjusting.....forgive me ;)

Rork1973 posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 8:34 PM

Finder posted Sat, 29 December 2001 at 5:50 PM

I think that Rork should write an article for "News and Views", taking us through some of his PS techniques. Don't miss the beautiful transformation that he did in the thread: Uhmm ...why this happens ? ... by scenterotic on 12/29/01 12:11 I want in on some of that stuff. How'bout you guys? Finder

Finder posted Sat, 29 December 2001 at 5:53 PM

Hey -- this is, like, the hottest thread I've seen yet in this forum, and Hardwick (the originator) is out on safari in Austrailia!

Hardwick posted Sun, 30 December 2001 at 6:22 PM

Hi all here comes some regards from Australia. There will come alot of new pics here later on from australia, here it most be one of the best places in the world do photography :) i must say nice work on my pictures :)

Finder posted Sun, 30 December 2001 at 7:05 PM

Hi Hardwick, glad to hear from you! This is a great conversation you started here.