Forum: Animation

Subject: Ready to make a big $$ investment in hardware for animations, any suggestions?

farang opened this issue on Dec 26, 2001 ยท 14 posts

farang posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 9:33 PM

Hi all, I'm very frustrated at the amount of time it takes to render animations on my system (P4 800mgz with 512ram and a voodoo 3d card). Take two clothed DAZ characters with hair in a room with two walls and a ceiling, throw in some furniture, no sound effects and 8 lights and its over 5 minutes to render one frame! At 30 fps we're looking at hundreds or even thousands of hours just to render a 30 minute movie. I called my computer tech guy to get an estimate for the latest P4 1.8 gigahertz and an additional 4 GIGABYTES of RAM. There was a long moment of silence on the other end of the phone line and then he told me he'd have to get back to me. I've read about some people having dual CPU systems but from what I've learned thats definitely out of my price range. My goal is to put a machine together that would render in a few seconds a frame that would otherwise take a minute to a minute and a half. I'm just wondering if this kind of horsepower would be enough to do the job. I'm interested in hearing what the rest of you use for your animations and welcome any and all feedback and suggestions. Thanks Farang