Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free Stuff Question

sjk77 opened this issue on Dec 31, 2001 ยท 12 posts

sjk77 posted Mon, 31 December 2001 at 7:26 PM

Can anyone suggest a good free website host? I've tried both tripod and geocities but they don't let you link to files from other sites. I know I've seen someone ask this same question before, but I don't remember the answer. Thanks

Nance posted Mon, 31 December 2001 at 8:26 PM

AARGH! My current host, Worldzone, just discontinued direct linking this week (the reason I had moved there in the first place) so I'm on the hunt once again also. Apologies to those of you to whom I'd recently recommended them. Don't need much bandwidth and don't mind embedded ads or popups. (Hey, beggars can't be choosers anymore.)

cooler posted Mon, 31 December 2001 at 9:14 PM

They aren't free but a couple of low cost alternatives I can recommend are AT&T & bizland.com. I maintain accounts with both to host my freebies (100+ & counting as well as copies of Angelyna for Blackhearted & Dangerous Curves for Ironbear :-) & I've had very few complaints. bizland.com= 70 megs, $5.95US/month, FTP transfers, no pop-ups, remote linking, & I have yet to hit a bandwidth ceiling AT&T= 60megs (in 10 meg blocks), $7US/month, no pop-ups, unlimited dial up account, 6 email addresses, FTP access, remote linking, no bandwith restrictions

CobaltDragon posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 12:08 AM

i have an at&t cable hook up but dont know if i cana website or not those of you who know if I can i would be happy to host one

Nance posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 1:13 AM

Just wanted to see if I could still link to images on an old GeoCites site. 3rdExodus.jpg I hate moving. sjk77, if this image shows up, it means we can use GeoCities. IIRC, they still allow direct linking to image files, just blocking links to the .zip files themselves. However, since FreeSuff policy was changed here to permit linking to HTML pages rather than only to the files themselves, we can direct link to the thumbs at Geo. Then for the actual the download, link to a HTML page there to get to the .zip file. (you guys can see this image right? It's not just visible from my cache or something?)

Electric_Aardvark posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 1:28 AM

can't see it here

Nance posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 2:50 AM

Drat! I guess they did start blocking image files as well as .zips. We'll get this back up there one way or the other.

ronknights posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 7:26 AM

I can see both images. Nice shorts, grin.

geoegress posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 12:04 PM

Just an Idea, Try http://www.no-ip.com/ Sets up your own web site on your own computer at your own home Without any other hosting requirements. Especially good for an always on cable connections, but can be used by phone line, just not a good. Very cool... Oh, and it's free Ken

Nance posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 2:54 PM

Now THAT'S interesting. Thanks Ken.

Xena posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 8:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.colahost.co.uk

http://www.colahost.co.uk $20 US per year. (yes I said per year, not month) Unlimited bandwidth and unlimited room. I currently have over 40Mb of freebies on my site and I've not had a problem yet. Domain hosting, and no adverts. Hope it helps :) PS ... domains for $8.95 US http://www.godaddy.com

ronknights posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 9:32 PM

You folks might want to remember that cable modem ISP's usually have restrictions against running your web site using your computer and their services. In fact, you can get knocked off their service for running a server. I do recall that most cable ISPs are known to "cap" their service, which basically cuts down the potential bandwidth just to make it impossible or more difficult for people who try to run unauthorized hosted web sites. You definately don't want to pay someone else for a web site that is hosted on your own computer. You would actually be paying all the expenses in the form of electricity, internet connection, etc.