Forum: Carrara

Subject: Is Carrara for me?

MaxBeckett opened this issue on Jan 22, 2002 ยท 10 posts

MaxBeckett posted Tue, 22 January 2002 at 12:53 PM

Hello Renderositians,
Im in the process of researching 3D software for use at the company where I work. Ive been messing about with the Carrara demo for the past few days and I do like what I see so far. I am by no means a 3D expert, Ive been working as a graphic designer for a few years now and until now have done mostly traditional print design, page layout etc. Ive played around though with Infini-D, Bryce, Poser. Ive also played a bit with Animation Master but I cant say I enjoyed AM much, I found the interface a little clumsy (and Im already clumsy by nature). I work for a fiber-optics equipment company and we have this guy (Dr.G) who spends his time making presentations at seminars and stuff like that. We want tu use 3D illustrations and animations to spruce up his presentations and also to include in training DVDs. I also cant afford to spend much considereing the economic context these days for tech companies. Any comments about the software would be most welcome as I want to urge my supervisor to make a move on this soon enough to take advantage of the Macworld-30% discount offer that ends on the 25th.
Im mostly concerned with the issue of stability. That seems to have been a major gripe from what Ive read so far, but then again most of the reviews Ive seen have been of version 1.0.
Ill be using this on a Mac G4//400 with 512 megs of ram and several gigs of available disk space.

Thanks in advance for your help folks.
Max