Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser v3 or v4

Imamik opened this issue on Feb 26, 2002 ยท 9 posts

Imamik posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 9:42 AM

Hi guys, i am a Bryce 5 user, and now i wanted to buy poser but i'm not very rich because i am a Student and only do 3d graphics for fun. So could you tell if v4 is way better than v3 so it is worth to spend so much more money. Thanks guys

Ericroy posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 9:50 AM

You can download a demo from Curious Labs to try it. Here's the link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/products/poser4/index.html Hope this helps, Ericroy

stallion posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 11:07 AM

Yes V4 is way much better

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Imamik posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 11:07 AM

that doesn't really help me because i can't compare it with v3, i have already tried the demo already, its really good but it's so expensive -thanks anyway

Imamik posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 11:09 AM

thanks

BAM posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 12:13 PM

If you are a student you should check into the student price for Poser 4 at your University Bookstore. P4 was a considerable change from P3. Much of what you see and admire on this site would not be possible or would be slow using P3.

EnglishBob posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 12:22 PM

You can still get good results with Poser 3, I used it happily for a year. Since you have Bryce the rendering limitations need not bother you. Yes, version 4 IS better, but the big advantage of Poser 3 is that you can get it free (I think - is Computer Arts still in the shops?)

BazC posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 3:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.angelfire.com/art2/cheapskate/

Ther's lots of copies of Computer Arts with free Poser3 on the shelves in England and if you use a Macintosh Macformat is giving it away too. I've just started using it and I love it. The main differences as far as I can see are; 1) More lights in P4 but P3 lights are adequate. 2) You get magnets which allow you to morph figures and clothing in P4 3) You can render more realistic hair and eyelashes etc. plus modify clothing using transparency maps in P4, you'll have to deal with this kind of thing with a graphics app like photoshop if you use P3. 4) You get clothing, better figures and more animals with P4. There is clothing for P3 figures available for download and with some dowloaded morphs the P3 figures are pretty good! 5) Clothing can be made to conform to figures in P4. Someone else can explain it better than me but as BAM said it makes things quicker/easier.

With some effort and a bit of postwork you can get great results with P3

If you want to see what can be done with poser3 you can check my humble offering on my artists page or better yet look at the work at EnglishBob's site. (see link)

Baz

Nance posted Tue, 26 February 2002 at 4:40 PM

IIRC, Kupa mentioned in a warez thread below that the student price for P4 was around $120. (I didn't recheck it -- could be incorrect info!)