Forum: Photography

Subject: Thought I had decided on a Digi Cam

Quinn opened this issue on Mar 05, 2002 ยท 7 posts

Quinn posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 7:36 AM

I had decided to take the plunge, and buy my first digital camera, then Nikon goes and pulls this.

Nikon just went and introduced the D100 digital SLR camera, a 6.1 megapixel camera, a combination of SLR functionality and digital capabilities. It's really targeted at the high-end amateur photographers and photo enthusiasts. The D100's high-definition CCD can capture 6.1 million effective pixels, producing high-definition 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images.

Seen this at Toms Hardware web site. Now I have to rethink my plans, I just hope this comes in well under the price of the D1X.

Artax posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 8:01 AM

oh... another D100 enthusiast... well guys... this little AMAT Digital reflex seems pretty cute... =) It should have an affordable price (nearly 3000Euros) and a promise good results. well... nearly half the cost of the D1x... rumors said it should cost as much as a standard Nikon F5. The CCD has little more power compared to the D1X one; tho the D1X one has superior quality on his side. The main differences are: The Body, the electronics, the pre-processing, the quality of the reflex system and an overall reduction of the quality of the mechanics. BTW... a really good choice if you want a digital reflex! The main problem (it's a D1 serie problem too) is the software. It's really, really, REALLY shitty. If you compare to the Kodak's Reflex Software dotation the result is that Nikon has understood anything of the Digital post-processing. The Drivers are unexistant, the NikonView Software is buggy, dated and unuseful... the rest of the utils are crap... the Photoshop plugin too.. Really nice machines but really crappy software...

Rork1973 posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 11:12 AM

You guys are completely insane! 3000 euro for a body based on the f100, that's nuts! Any idea what kind of stuff you can buy for 3000 euro ? =)

ASalina posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 12:11 PM

To make things more complicated, the new Fovion CCD technology looks like it has potential. Things will get really interesting if Nikon starts using it in their digital SLR's.

Rork1973 posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 12:17 PM

Ouch! The body doesn't look at all Nikon-worthy, no real rubber grip like the f5/f4 I'd buy a nice Bronica with a couple of lenses, two 120 backs, polaroid back, etc and save like $500 for a trip to a nice town to make some great shots =)

JordyArt posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 2:46 PM

ok, Rork - come to MY town, I'll mug you (gently), you claim off your insurance and get a couple of things extra too and everybody's happy?!? lol (",)

Rork1973 posted Tue, 05 March 2002 at 5:53 PM

Well, lol Jordy =)