Forum: Photography

Subject: Photo to 3D model ???

JohnnyMack opened this issue on Mar 26, 2002 ยท 10 posts

JohnnyMack posted Tue, 26 March 2002 at 6:14 PM

Has anybody out there found a satisfactory (and affordable) means of generating a 3D model from photographs? Or has anyone tried something along these lines and found it disappointing? All info welcome.

Slynky posted Tue, 26 March 2002 at 6:33 PM

I think Canoma does that, and I'm pretty sure there's another program called Photo-Modeller (or similarly named) as well. I've never heard anyone say anything spectacular about them though. Other than that, I dunno anything else.

PunkClown posted Tue, 26 March 2002 at 10:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.computerarts.co.uk

Issue 66 of Computer Arts had an interesting article on 3d scanning and capturing meshes on a budget, if you're interested...

PunkClown posted Tue, 26 March 2002 at 10:50 PM

(I know that's not capturing from photos...but I thought it might be an interesting option for you) :-)>

Kurka posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 7:34 AM

Attached Link: http://www.photomodeler.com/Lite/

Photo Modeler Lite. Free.

JohnnyMack posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 9:49 AM

Thanks to all. That looks like enough to keep me busy for a while!

bevchiron posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 11:43 AM

This looks really interesting, anyone know any software for Mac???

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

JohnnyMack posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 12:06 PM

What originally got me wondering about this was an ad I saw for "ShapeSnatcher", which is a plugin for Maya, I believe. It worked by using a slide with a fine calibrated grid pattern that was used to light the model when taking the picture, then the software analyzed the resultant image and generated a 3D model. I checked their site though, and found it was about $2500 (plus Maya), which is a bit out of my range. I also saw mention of another product ("realVIZ" or something like that) that used several photographs from different perspectives, on which you had to manually identify identical points on the object. And now photomodeler lite, mentioned by Kurka above. Still wondering if anyone has tried any of these, and has an opinion on whether the results are worth the trouble and/or expense...?

L8RDAZE posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 12:34 PM

Canoma CAN do some cool stuff, but you're kinda limited to geometric primatives. I've used it to make some pix of buildings into simple 3d objects Checkout this site for some Canoma animations made using a kite cam! http://www.tilenut.com/canoma/

bsteph2069 posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 1:59 PM

I have Canoma. Very hard to make intricate shape. there are a couple of other programs. Um. I'll have to take a look around to see what I can find. BUT in general I was not too happy with PC modeler. AND Canoma does not really work unless the item being modeled consists of straight lines. Real Viz demos are available. BUT you can't save them. Also I think Real Viz is only available for the MAC. In general if you don't mind you should consider PC's suggestion. It's the poor mans solution to what you are trying to do. I have heard of a plugin for PS which functions as a photo to 3D creator. also check out sitll to real which is a gizmachi for making 3D faces using photos. It's in the marketplace. Seems to work but you will still have to do some work. Bsteph