Forum: Vue

Subject: Importing Poser Figures

niknatas opened this issue on Jan 22, 2000 ยท 11 posts

niknatas posted Sat, 22 January 2000 at 6:28 PM

I was wondering if any of you Vue guru's could tell me how to get the texture map of a Poser figure mapped correctly in Vue d'Esprit. I just dowloaded the demo and I really like the package, but until I figure this out I'm not going to buy it. I tried exporting a Poser figure to an obj file, and I then imported it into Vue. But when I mapped my texture using the materials editor ... well ... the mapping it very screwed. Please help. -Nik

smallspace posted Sat, 22 January 2000 at 8:52 PM

If you've got the latest Poser Patch, you can pretty well export your Poser figure as 3DS, copy the texture into the same folder as the export, then do a straight 3DS import into Vue (ver. 3, of course). If you're going to export the figure as OBJ, you'll need to flip or mirror the texture.

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

smallspace posted Sat, 22 January 2000 at 8:55 PM

Also, I would suggest converting the texture to TGA or even Jpeg instead of TIF or BMP. I don't know why, but TGA seems to render faster and of course even at low compression, jpg takes less space.

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

headhunter posted Sun, 23 January 2000 at 2:01 PM

Here's the way to do it inside Vue with an ordinary rightside-up Poser texture: In the Material Editor select Mapped Picture & load the image. In the Tiling section, select "Mirror Y". In the Picture File box you'll see the filename & dimensions (WxH) of the map, type the height of the picture into the Picture "Offset Y" box. What this does is creates alternating tiles (rightside-up and upside-down) and shoves the rightside-up tile upward so we can see it. If you're using texmaps for figures, I suggest flood filling the white background with a median skin tone to avoid white seams on the figure.

JR Livenais posted Mon, 24 January 2000 at 1:46 AM

I don't think it's possible to import OBJ UV mapped files with the demo. But this has been possible since version 2.1 of Vue (full version). J-R

silverbranch posted Mon, 24 January 2000 at 3:08 PM

Hi Nik, There is a tutorial at http://www.ruku.com/textmaps.html also, with screenshots. Gail

headhunter posted Tue, 25 January 2000 at 1:05 PM

I get it using either method, but only on certain texture maps, especially those by Anton Kisiel (excellent texture maps too, BTW!) His textures are barely overlapping the lines of the template, which is no problem for Poser's renderer to blur out, but the seams are visible even in Poser's textured preview mode. Some maps imported into Vue show no seams, it just depends on how much "padding" the artist gave the template edges. Both methods should give identical results with the same map.

headhunter posted Tue, 25 January 2000 at 2:09 PM

where can I find Laubach's textures all together? I'd like to have a set of those. Have you seen A.Kisiel's texmaps? You can find them on the PPG (in 3 sets I think) . The "Helena" texture is the one that comes with the "evolution1" model (it's modified for that figure) I modified the rest to fit evo1 & asked Anton for permission to post them, but never heard back. BTW, I always use P4 models unless I need a specific type that I only have a P3 of.

headhunter posted Tue, 25 January 2000 at 2:25 PM

Never mind. Found 'em. Had a bookmark to Happyworldland in my browser. I think I have some of these already. I believe the Amalgam texture was one that mapped with little or no seams. Just took a look at a couple of his maps. He has a light skintone or gray "halo" around the perimeter of his maps. That's probably why the white background "seams" aren't visible.

headhunter posted Wed, 26 January 2000 at 12:03 PM

You really should check out the Evo1 model tho. It fixes several "rough spots" in the Poser4 Woman. The thighs bend forward without that annoying "pleating" at the inner buttock, the shoulders move more realistically too. BTW, Kisiel's license is fairly simple too... Not for sale or distribution without his permission (which is illegal anyway) but that's it. If you'll look at Tim's credits for "Brown skinned girl" (I think that's the name - it DL's with some weird numbered filename) Kisiel is credited with part of the skin [The eyes look like they came from Anton's "Shauna" texture, one of my favorites -- I have a thing for exotic women ;) ]

headhunter posted Wed, 26 January 2000 at 8:20 PM

Traveler has Evolution1 & EvolutionWG (with genitals) on his site (Morph World) under the "Character" section. Those UltraMorphs (the ones by Confuscius) are just standard Poser figures with a collection of pre-applied morphs of every conceivable type. (They make great organ donors for Character models [G]) Evo1 has it's body parts regrouped and joint parms adjusted to bend more naturally. EveWG (the one I made skins for) has morphable genitalia copied from the WWG model) It's really less confusing than I make it sound :)