Forum: Community Center

Subject: Free stuff reset at 0 ???

adidas opened this issue on May 18, 2002 ยท 12 posts

adidas posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 5:47 AM

Is everybody back at zero downloads at the the freestuff section?? or is it just a little problem?

kbennett posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 6:02 AM

I suspect it's something to do with loads of freestuff counts going from 0 to 3600 in a very short time. Maybe they had to be reset. I'll check for you.

adidas posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 6:16 AM

thanks

MartinC posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 7:24 AM

It happened a couple of times in "rcook" days, and there always was some way to restore the values from the last backup - PLEASE try to do it.

kbennett posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 8:43 AM

Okay, spoke to Tim and here's what's happening: As you know the counters got messed up somehow. The only way to fix it was to wipe the counters back to zero as an interim measure, then the tape from before they got messed up will be restored and the totals added together. That should get us back to where we should be. It may take a few days to get all of that sorted.

adidas posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 9:22 AM

thanks again for the reply,those download figures are the only thing for me to see if anybody likes stuff i make

rcook posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 9:48 AM

Yeah MartinC, it happened once about 5 or 6 months ago. Some random DB problems I guess, never figured out the whys. I was able to figure out the value they were reset to, and using backups and many hours of work, got the values back to within 1 or 2 of their real values, as if nothing had happened. Nothing lost. However, by them reseting the counts to zero, they just lost whatever downloads occurred from the point it hit to 3600 (or so) to the reset to zero, about a full day's worth. But, it was easier this way. :)

MartinC posted Sat, 18 May 2002 at 10:21 AM

I think I can remember it happened 3 times - once in "fur" times, and twice in yours... Many thanks to everyone in charge of this - at any time at past, present and future - we really appreciate your work to keep this board running! :-)

Anthony Appleyard posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 8:06 AM

Please when is it likely that these counts will be put back to correct, this time?

kbennett posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 8:19 AM

"early this week" from the horse's mouth. OTOH database restore and merge ops can be a pig, so please bear with us a while. Kevin.

tim posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 9:09 PM Site Admin

The download counts should now be fixed. I took a few more minutes to examine the script and patch the hole that has been causing the problem all the while. Should be easier that way. tim

adidas posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 11:24 PM

Thanks tim everything is ok again