Forum: Photography

Subject: Camera Help

Rustbucket opened this issue on May 21, 2002 ยท 9 posts

Rustbucket posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 12:55 AM

Ok kids, I'm a graphic designer and have very little knowledge about cameras and photography in general, but would like to dabble more in it for my designs. I realize its not something to just 'jump' into, but I'm starting to really get an eye for good images that I NEED to capture! Anyway, my question is this: I have a Canon AE-1 Program that I got as payment once from a rental tenant of mine who couldn't make his payment. He said it was worth about $250, and being the nice guy I am, I took it for partial rent. Now is this a good camera for taking good shots generally? Do many people here have experience with this camera? I'd love to get a quality digital camera, but they're so friggin expensive to get something that even compares in clarity to a 35mm it seems! Should I keep and expand with the Canon AE-1? Or should I opt for the digital camera and just not buy groceries for the next few months? :) Thanks.

bsteph2069 posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 1:38 AM

My father has one. He's seem to be happy with it. I have no idea of your cameras condition. So I don't know what type type of lenses you have or don't. But I've seen many people do quite good work with it. There is nothing wrong with a quality 35mm camera. If you can afford a good digital camera after a few months of skipping groceries how much do you eat! :-) Seriouisly, weather you NEED a digital is your decision but I would have you consider this. With what you have and a reasonable scanner you can do the same thing that you basicalkly can with a digita camera. Perhaps more depending on the type of diogital you buy. The controoling factor with me and 35mm is the film and development cost. Just a suggestion. Bsteph

Rork1973 posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 5:09 AM

I wouldn't trade in the AE-1 for a digital camera of any kind. The Canon isn't rated as valuable by stores for some weird reason, and you're bound to loose on money and on quality. If I were you I'd have a go with this wonderful camera, which is still very popular among (starting/student) photographers....which doesn't mean it's only useable for starters/students. Canon has many great lenses and things, and if you spend some money on good (slide or bw) film, you should be able to make great photos! =) Well, maybe there's some info on www.photo.net......try searching for AE-1

Slynky posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 7:05 AM

I was gonna try and haglle for a Canon A-1, whic Im told was something like the AE-1. It woulda been worth the money to me, but I dont got 250$US to spend, so dang

Antoonio posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 7:38 AM

I had AE-1, and I curse the day I lost it. I loved that camera, but was so blinded by word "autofocus" that I sold it. Ok, I have a nice Minolta now, but nothing beats the feeling of good old AE-1. And those pics, awww... sigh I agree, its harder to took pics than with these modern cameras, but in the same time, you will learn way much more with that treasure. And that mood, I cant describe it. Not just snappin' pics, with AE-1 you're taking photos. And speaking about the price, it totally depends what did you get with it. Flash? Objectives? I bet you can find proper price from the net. If you are a fan of hitec, love lots of buttons and dingdalongspulloffs, just want to take pics, sell it and get a digicam. Its more easy way. But if you like old stuff, like to take some time and go in for photography, dont sell it, you're gonna regret it later, believe me. I know what I'm talking about. .n

Rustbucket posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 7:44 AM

Hey, thanks for the input, guys. I am leaning toward just keeping the AE-1. I only have the 1:8 "stock" lens but plan on getting some better ones for it. It seems the AE-1 would ultimately be more versatile than a digital camera. Thanks again!

randyrives posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 9:34 AM

AE-1 is a good camera. About digital, that is about all I shoot now. I still don't have a high mega-pixel camera, mine is 2.1. But I just got the Oly 2100 UZ with a 10x optical zoom and love it. The cost of film and development helps me justify the expense. My first vacation with a digital I took about 1,000 pics. If I had done this with film it would have cost me about $400.00 which is almost what I paid for my new 2100uz. --Randy R

Antoonio posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 1:06 AM

I agree you Randy, digital is, after all, cheaper and easier to use. But, you cant get the same feeling as you get with good old manual camera. In 70% of my pics, I use digital, but sometimes I miss that manual feeling, that little excitement before taking a shot, that little itc in index finger. It's just not the same anymore. sigh .n

jhazard posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 7:21 AM

Attached Link: http://minali.image.pbase.com/u8/jhazard/upload/1495394.eggs.jpg

I agree with above, keep the AE1. I have one, I will never get rid of it. Digital is great, don't get me wrong, but it has it's limitations. I'd especially hold onto the 1.8 lense you have - it will get you shots that digtial cannot do. The AE 1 is a great learning camera for both traditional photogrpahy and digital. just shoot film, and get the negs scanned to a kodak photo cd, and you're all set - best of both worlds until you decide it's time to go digital all the way. Take care, Jerry (the image attatched was shot with an AE 1.)