Forum: Photoshop

Subject: water and tears

toashzadel opened this issue on May 25, 2002 ยท 9 posts

toashzadel posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 7:55 AM

Can anybody point me in the direction, of tips/tutorials about how to make things look wet? Mostly I am looking to give my poser characters realistic looking tears, or if they have been caught out in the rian, with wet clothes, skin, hair etc.... any ideas? cheers Steve :o)

skewer posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 3:55 PM

Water and wetness require 2 totally separate approaches If you want wetness just think darkness on textures. Poser's fairly limited "reflection" mapping might help if you map the darkened areas of your texture as slightly reflective on a refl. map; just make a greyscale .bmp and make the darker areas a shade of grey or black, depending on how reflective you want them. Not sure how accurate this is, not tried it myself, but the theory of mapping so the wet shoulders/sleeves/hat/umbrella have shiny bits seems potentially OK. As for tears, try to get hold of Alien Skin's Eye Candy 3 or 3.1. One plugin they dropped in v4000 was the "glass" which I have used to achieve water-on-a-surface fx: All you need is a selected area (say an oval marquee) then you can make it glass, so it refracts the stuff underneath and reflects whatever angled light you give it. That way you can have detailed textures with a nice looking tear, and the tracks can be made just by selecting the area to be teary and making it a highly uneven, very low-to-the-ground glass. EC's Glass is especially nice if you want to make a fake pic-with-tears-on-it or similar water-on-surface effect, but remember that the tear will look odd at a shallow angle - try to compensate with elongated shapes if you need a tear to be rendered with a camera angle that's not too straight. I can't suggest any place that would stock EC3 these days, and I haven't delved too deep into EC4000 so I can't be sure there's no similar glass fx there, but I hope this helps a bit.

dreamer101 posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 5:32 PM

Hmmmm, I need to correct you on that. I have Alien Skin's Eye Candy 4000 and it does have the "glass" filter. It also has "water drops" and "drip" that might help the wet look (along with many others). All these filters are totally adjustable (for water drops: drop size, coverage, edge darkness, opacity, tinting, refraction, etc...)

skewer posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 6:03 PM

cool, well I'm glad the new filter hasn't dropped that feature and I hope you get your droplets looking nice on the textures!

toashzadel posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 4:05 PM

Thanks for the tips guys! :) is eye candy like $170 though? :( are there any free ways to make drops? And I don't fret, I mean legal!! I'm just poor! ;)

dreamer101 posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 5:48 PM

Hmmm, you could always play with Filter - Artistic - Plastic Wrap. That filter comes with Photoshop. You may have to create an image and apply the Plastic Wrap to it and make separate layers of tears etc.

retrocity posted Wed, 29 May 2002 at 9:12 AM

that's a good idea dreamer maybe an example would help show the possibility

FyreSpiryt posted Sun, 02 June 2002 at 12:26 PM

I don't remember where I got it, perhaps from their website, but Eyecandy 3.1 is free. That's something worth happy-dancing about.

dreamer101 posted Sun, 02 June 2002 at 3:29 PM

Eye Candy 3 Giveaway

Eye Candy Special Edition, the free version of Eye Candy 3, is no longer available for download. Thanks for dropping in and be sure to check out our other plug-ins, including our newest filter set, Splat!

Looks like it's over.