Forum: Photoshop

Subject: "add to selection" plugin wanted

hendrikm opened this issue on May 28, 2002 ยท 6 posts

hendrikm posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 7:21 AM

Well, since years Im looking for a special plugin. I use the magic wand tool a lot, but you always end up with some pixels, that are enclosed by your selection, but dont belong to the selection (like the dust you always have somewhere on your scanned pictures). Is there any plugin, which adds all areas beyond a certain size to a selection ?

Rustbucket posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 8:41 AM

Do you mean just selecting a few more pixels out from the selection? If so, you can do that under the selection menu to the 'expand' option. From there you can choose how many more pixels out from the current selection you want to select. The same is true for 'contract'. Does the same thing, just reverse :) If this isn't what you meant, then uh, just ignore me :)

dreamer101 posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 8:58 AM

Might suggest you use the Filter - Noise - Dust & Scratches when you get those nasty little specks. There are so many ways to make a selection and even more to modify a selection. The magic wand tool is ok to start with assuming you have adjusted the tolerance, anti-aliased (on/off), and contiguous (on/off). While in the magic wand settings you can use the add, subtract or intersect to adjust selection. If it's only a few little spots you need to add or remove, you can jump to "edit in quick mask mode", paint in black to subtract from selection or switch to white to add to selection. When you jump back to "edit in standard mode" you have your adjusted selection. There are other ways depending on how much needs to be adjusted.

retrocity posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 9:30 AM

Dreamer's right "...There are so many ways to make a selection and even more to modify a selection..." that i prefer to do things by hand. The magic wand is nice and it would be cool to have a plugin to do the work, but any time its a "point and click" fix, you wind up doing most the work anyway. I use the "quick mask" method myself alot. Give it a try and see if it'll do what you need. retrocity

mpalash posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 11:42 PM

try using...extensis mask pro.....one of the best selection or masking plugins i've ever used.....worth every bit of what they make you pay for it.....:-)

hendrikm posted Wed, 29 May 2002 at 11:46 AM

Thanks a lot, extensis mask pro, maybe I should check this out...