Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Announce: Maya Poser plugin

reiss-studio opened this issue on Jul 04, 2002 ยท 22 posts

reiss-studio posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 8:49 AM

Greetings From Reiss Studio, and happy July 4th. Kupa and Larry have some great things to say about everyone here, and really love this community, so I wanted it to be one of the first place that details were anounced (did I say announced, I mean leaked) about the Maya Poser Plugin. It's official, there will be a Maya Poser plugin, and we should be selling it from www.reiss-studio.com soon... Pro-Pack will not be required. Some of the features include almost full translation of Poser shaders, and native maya support for the .bum files! No more extensive messing around with shaders to get the poser file to look correct in another package. The plugin will initially be for windows, with a macintosh version to follow (if there is enough interest, so let me hear if you would like macintosh support). The website has not been officially launched yet, so it's a good time to get your login... I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone does with the plugin, I love the work that I've seen here. also, if anyone's interested, we are currently have limited spaces to take on a few customers (about 30) in the Beta stage (now). for information contact sales@reiss- studio.com

reiss-studio posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 8:52 AM

Here's an image of mike rendered in Maya. These are the default shaders (the way they come in when the file is imported). There's no inverting transparencies or converting the bump maps...

reiss-studio posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 8:53 AM

And here's a side-by side comparison of vicky in poser and maya

dukefama posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 9:51 AM

I happen to be a maya user. But I am not sure if I want the plugin because you have not given the details okay. And I check out your site nothing there too. There are so many things about xter animation in MAYA that you have not sopekn about so I would like to know the details of the plugin Thanks And Nice work

saxon posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 10:06 AM

This is great news, it extends Poser right into the heartlands of the high-end apps. Poser's kudos can only go up....

FrankJann posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 10:41 AM

Will it work with the PLE version of Maya?

wolf359 posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 11:30 AM

Does it import poser animations??? if NOT you are better off with lightwave or cinema4dXl which handles both still and animations

My website

YouTube Channel

breathless posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 12:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.db70.com/bp/

I don't work with these guys, but I can answer PLE question as the learning version does not support plug-ins. Now as for a MAC version, PLEASE!!!!!!! There may be far fewer of us than PC types, but we are a dedicated bunch. As for me, I'm working for 2 television networks in LA and dying to render poser stuff in Maya. Will the plug-ins be similar to Cinema 4D? Full support for animated figures?

CharlieBrown posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 12:40 PM

Just out of curiosity, is the Poser render with anti-aliasing on or off? Aside from lighting issues (May looks a lot better) and a bend in the nose on the Poser version, I don't see that much difference, sorry.

wolf359 posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 1:19 PM

CB, mayas Default render is not much better than posers but you can add super high end render engines like renderman etc.at the time of hi-res output after care previsualization with the low res engine used here.

My website

YouTube Channel

reiss-studio posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 1:39 PM

Great questions... first, Q. will the plugin support animated figures? A. Yes! the plugin works similar to the versions for 3D Max, and Lightwave (and I assume Cinema 4D, which I have not seen). You get a animation attribute in Maya which determines the frame that you are viewing from the poser file. When this atttribute is animated, the figure moves. In the shipping version, this attribute will be animated by default when the file is imported Q. Will this work with PLE!? A. No. We'd like to offer it to Everyone! PLE doesn't support any plugins right now. If they make that functionality available, We'll try to address a version that works in PLE... Q. I don't see much difference between the Maya, and the poser version in the comparison... A. Exactly! In the plugins for 3D Max and Lightwave you sometimes have to spend lots of time adjusting the shaders within the new app to get results that look like your original shaders in Poser. The Maya importer translates the Poser shader directly into a Maya Shading network, which right now supports 95% of poser shader functionality. We expect this number to go up before we ship. I'll poset some more images later which show off some of the maya features...

Q2 posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 3:32 PM

yes, we want macintosh support.

hogwarden posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 5:02 PM

Is this compatible with the possible new Poser 5 materials? H:)

wolf359 posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 5:09 PM

So poser is on its way to becoming THE character animation plugin for all the major 3D apps I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!

My website

YouTube Channel

Ironbear posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 5:18 PM

Coolness. If I can ever afford a copy of Maya, I'll look forward to it.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

Questor posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 6:31 PM

And considering how much the major 3d apps cost in comparison, I'm not sure that it's a good thing tying up with them. One knows what happens when "hi-end" and "3D" are combined. It results in multiple zeroes BEFORE the decimal point. Nice for the Maya users to be able to have a nice cheap option for their characterisations. But is it a good thing I wonder? How soon before CL decide that the cheap hobby crowd are not really the future? Ignore me, I'm having "one of those days".

Ironbear posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 6:37 PM

It's probably just gas, Questor. ;]

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

CharlieBrown posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 7:03 PM

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks!

Ratteler posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 7:11 PM

Are you kidding? The bigger fear is how long till one of the big boys realizes the hobby crowd is SO worth it and puts CL out of business.

wolf359 posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 7:30 PM

I think this is a brilliant strategy!! give all the neat new hair and cloth toys to the still render crowd that makes up %97 of the current user base. an give the high end users (who have no problem spending $500 for a plugin or script), a powerful characer animation plugin (POSER) thats EASIER to animate characters than any app out there right now.

My website

YouTube Channel

reiss-studio posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 8:08 PM

also, the plugin will cost less than $500 ;) We'd like it to be more affordable than most maya plugins...

Duddly posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 1:01 AM

Will it Work for stuff going into Poser from Maya as well as from Poser to Maya? I create my car models in Maya but the material settings and groupings get lost in the export to OBJ.