Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: personalised faces ---- is it possible on a budget?

malmohuset opened this issue on Jul 10, 2002 ยท 12 posts

malmohuset posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 8:29 AM

Hi everyone. I would like to create a poser head that is just like my own so that it looks exactly like me. I really have no idea about how to go about it. I have tried Cake One's tutorial but the results I get are rubbish. Do i need to create a morph etc... If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be more than grateful!! I am waiting until I can do this and then I will start saving to buy mimic so I can talk... mind you, the pro-pack pretty much wiped me out of funds :-s thanks

RawArt posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 10:10 AM

(As a relative newbie here) I just went through the same thing with Cake One's tutorial, and the results were incredible. It helps if you have a model like Michael where you can morph the face to at least a similar shape to your own (though I personally could not get the cheekbones to "my" look). My original results did not look too good till I took the time to modify the face this way. If you care to post an image of your results, maybe some more advice can be given. Rawn

malmohuset posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 10:14 AM

thanks Rawnrr.. you say your results were incredible... mine were awful... i'd post it but I have a feeling I scrapped the whole project (I know, tell me quitters never win etc :-p) I am also not aware of how to create morphs to model my own face... I guess that is part of my question. thanks again, Mal

RawArt posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 10:41 AM

I guess what morphs you have available depends on which model you are using. With the Michael model there are a large number of dials on the side where you can manipulate many of the facial elements. What I did was simply select the head, and then start playing with the dials till I got something which was reasonably close. My only real problem with the realism was with the hair, and trying to find something which was close to mine, and then learning how to make the transparency maps and textures for believable hair.....but thats another story :) Rawn

malmohuset posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 10:45 AM

ok. I will give it a go...maybe I'll post my results here, but don't hold your breath... these things take me ages! thanks for the advice!!

RawArt posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 11:26 AM

always glad to help.......lord knows i have asked my ton of questions here over the last few months :) Rawn

Kalypso posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 12:33 PM Site Admin

Attached Link: http://www.geocities.com/duane_moody

Over at Duane's Toybox there's a tutorial giving a specific technique to aid in the creation of a realistic face. Give that a try before you give up ;) Sometimes a tip or technique we haven't thought of can make all the difference! The exact link for the tut is http://www.geocities.com/duane_moody/portrait1.html

Barbarellany posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 1:47 PM

It is really all about the dials on the head so yes the Vicky, Mike, &Stephanie models work best because they have the most dials. Key dials I find for making liknesses to real people are face shape, jaw/chin, eyes - closer, rounder, slant; emaciated, nose - tip, nostrils, slope and bump; mouth- up/down, lips full/thin. width. I do tend to give a touch to the ethnic dials, but very little, just to set a palette if Iknow the ethnicity of the person. A big tip is using minus instead of add. In some cases minus top lip full is better than plus lip thin. The same goes for other dials.

FyreSpiryt posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 5:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=188583&Start=1&Artist=FyreSpiryt&ByArtist=Yes

Don't forget to mess with scaling, too. I did a self-portrait of myself as an Evil Overlord, and had to mess with scaling quite a bit. For instance, my head is y-scaled about 95% (but don't let that fool you. Everyone agrees I tend to have a big head. ^_~).

EricofSD posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 1:40 AM

Attached Link: http://www.annsartgallery.com/freeprop.html

One idea is to take the camera, turn it towards you, hold it out and click the button (or have the lady do it for you). Then take that image, scan it, and use it to overlay the face part of your male model. Then use the sliders to shap it a bit. Will work fine. I put up a tut on this. Just skip the model making part and use the rest of the tut to overlay your photo on the mesh. And yes, you can do it on a budget.

malmohuset posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 2:03 AM

Thanks a whole load everyone!! Roll on the weekend...looks like I will be spending 48 hours sat in front of the pc.. still the forecast for London is rain so what the heck!! thanks loads... I will promise to post my renders (if not too embarrassing!!)

duanemoody posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 3:23 PM

Caveat about my tutorial: I intended it as a tut for advanced users already familiar with morphs and magnets -- it isn't so much a tut on the theory of morphing as it is a method for building a more useful 'cage' to house the head for comparison purposes.