Forum: Bryce

Subject: poly count

wozzyke opened this issue on Jul 27, 2002 ยท 5 posts

wozzyke posted Sat, 27 July 2002 at 3:52 AM

Ok, I'm new to LW and learning it, but most of all i still use bryce,so I use it to model simple thing that are impossible with bryce. Here it comes: I modelled some glasses(champaign,long drink, beer,...) but when I import them in bryce as a OBJ file they have an enormous polycount wich makes my file is growing to huge sizes. I made the objects with the sketch tool and the lath tool. Is it possible to lower dowl the poly count, or is there a difference between using the obj file in bryce and using the lwo file?????? if annyone of you has a sollution, please tell me because i'm desperate.... thanks annyway wozz

Flak posted Sat, 27 July 2002 at 6:13 AM

hunt through LW modeller for the "reduce poly" and "reduce point" things.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

tuttle posted Sat, 27 July 2002 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, I've never used LW (for more than 5 mins) so I'm not sure about the function, but there'll be a setting on lathe to ask you how many steps you need. Obviously, more steps, more polys. Also, never used "sketch" but I assume it just lets you draw a spline. Even eliminating a single point can rid you of hundreds or thousands of polys (because the lathe function will duplicate the spline around the Y axis). There's nothing you can do in Bryce about polys, though. Then again, thinking about it - I've just done a 3450x5250 render that required several very detailed lathe objects imported into Bryce, hugely subdivided with about 200 lathed steps, but the OBJ files were only about 1.7Mb each and only took about 5 seconds each to import. If your files are more than this for a simple lathe then there's something else amiss... <:#

electroglyph posted Sat, 27 July 2002 at 4:06 PM

In rhino you draw with nurbs and set the poly count when you convert or save. In max you set the res in preferences. I don't know how you set the size in LW but it's probably the number of steps. In bryce you can select the object. Click on the "E" and a smooth or unsmooth dialog shows up. Grab the slider and drag it up then press smooth to add. You can import a relatively clunky object with low polys and really smooth it out. Iv'e had no trouble with bryce smoothing out lathe objects with ten steps. Conversely you can unsmooth a sphere and make it look like a facted stone.

Renderbrant posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 6:32 PM

Hi,
I assume your using Lightwave 5.0-5.6 as Bryce can import files from that version as I use it myself for that purpose. When your using the sketch tool try and see if the are any points you can eliminate before you lathe the shape. I more often than not find there are to many points when using the sketch tool. When you go to use lathe click on the numeric button underneath and play around with reducing the sides. I also use LW 6.0 and that has a slider so you can watch it in real time. I hope this helps :)

Renderbrant