Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: No good deed goes unpunished

FyreSpiryt opened this issue on Jul 28, 2002 ยท 29 posts

FyreSpiryt posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 4:57 PM

I just recieved this email titled "About the Orca" (sic) from a personal AOL address. "Dear, software pirate. Hello, it has come to my attention that you have stolen a program file from a man called Anders Hojer. He will lay charges on you if you (1) Keep the program (2) Keep it and keep it to yourself as well. (3) Copy, modify, or tamper with it. If you send it to us and delete it off of your hard-drive, the charges won't exist. We wish to get your response posthaste. Sincerely, Truman Retgul , ICA criminal division. " The file in question is the free orca I've been trying to help kkndmaster find. It was offered as a free download in 1999, I think maybe at was it poserforum.com? Here's a pic; I'm sure other long-time Posers downloaded it. Frankly, I'm pissed by the obvious fakeness of this message. Right, an untitled representative of the "criminial division" of an organization I have never heard of is writing me (with ludicrously bad grammar and punctuation) on a Sunday from a personal AOL address. Oh, and it'll be OK if I send them a copy and then delete it from my hard drive. Right, sure, and I can get a good deal if I want to buy a bridge in New York. I'm pretty certain the person behind this is from this board, since this is the only place besides private e-mails I have mentioned the orca creator's name. If this is indeed the case, whoever you are, to quote The Emperor's New Groove, this makes you ugly AND stupid, because you've just opened yourself up to criminal charges of fraud and harassment, and I'm sure a lawyer could think of something else. Oh, and that e-mail has been forwarded to AOL; as I recall, they don't take kindly to people impersonating officials on their e-mail accounts. So, this is what I get for trying to help someone else. Next time I keep my mouth shut unless I can provide a URL.