Forum: Bryce

Subject: Bryce 4, slowed down.

HOTexas opened this issue on Mar 09, 2000 ยท 16 posts

HOTexas posted Thu, 09 March 2000 at 9:51 PM

I got a new G4 350 a couple of months of ago and was very happy with the rendering speed on Bryce 4. I did many different renders in different resolutions and a couple of animations. Very fast, very happy. Now, for some reason, it's slow as hell. When I do a render that took 20 minutes before, it's now taking 20 hours !! I've tried the very same images that I rendered before, and they're taking ALOT longer than before. Usually, the first render/screen pass is very fast, but then the rendering line sort of stops for a while, then continues. The third pass is extremely slow that I just quit. I just tried rendering an image (3400 x 2200) that took about 35 minutes to finish before. It's been almost 2 DAYS!! and it's still not finished, so I just quit. So, I'm thinking, what have I installed / done, that could have affected this? I can't think of anything. The only programs that I've installed before the slowness occurred have been Canoma and Carrarra, both from Metacreations. No new hardware has been installed and the only update I've done has been for OpenTransport from the Apple updater. This is what I've done so far to resolve this but no luck. 1. Have reinstalled Bryce in a different folder 2. Have reinstalled Bryce on another drive (SCSI) 3. Have rebuilt my desktop 4. Have checked for hardrive errors (they're all ok) 5. Have ran Conflict Catcher (no errors reported) 6. Have started Bryce with minimal (Mac OS 9.0 Base) extensions. 7. Have updated Bryce to ver. 4.0.1 8. Have allocated for memory to Bryce (from 100 megs to 150 megs) My system: Sawtooth G4 350 320 Megs of RAM (added 256 module) ATI 128 Rage Pro Additional UW2 SCSI drive Additional Ultra DMA 66 drive Virtual memory is OFF Disk cache is set to default: 8160 K Could I have a bad CPU or overheating? Bad memory or graphics card? Please, let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks so much, Manolo