Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Help! Sanity slipping

Director opened this issue on Mar 10, 2000 ยท 3 posts

Director posted Fri, 10 March 2000 at 1:00 PM

Help! Sanity slipping must make poser export solid I have been working on a project of turning my Poser4 creations into physical reality. Way cool right? Who wouldnt want their own set of poser figurines? There has been a bit of a snag in file conversion. How does one convert the typical Poser .obj file over to something that a CAD/CAM system can use? Im trying to go for the lowest cost solution possible, as this project is unpaid and experimental. My main problem is that the typical surfaces that we see when rendering in Poser doesnt translate into solids in CAM related programs. I need to find out the specifics of what allows polygon surfaces to be considered solids. I have to get a Wavefront obj from Poser4 to Stereolithography or IGES format with the surfaces becoming Solids. Ive tried several demo versions of 3d applications with very little success. PolyTrans has come closest to converting the file to Stereolithography but since it is the demo it removes every 5th polygon, but fortunately all the surfaces became solids. Other programs such as Rhino turn the file into a series of points or just a surface-less mesh but there are no solids. My attempts to changing the mesh into nurbs in Rhino does not fully convert all the polygons, but the ones that are converted do become solid surfaces. Is there a simple practical solution for this migraine of a project? My other lesser problem with this is the polygon count. The current project has over 35,000 of them. Using the decimation feature in Ray Dream Studio de-triangulates the mesh and it looks pretty nasty. The polygon reduction in Rhino seems to indiscriminately mangle the edges of the mesh. Amorphium does a nice job in apparently reducing the polygon count upon import or export, but upon further inspection in other applications there are still the same number of vertices but with a decimated look. Is there an application that can remove all the hidden polygons within the mesh? This might be a way I could more easily remove polygons. If anyone could point me in the right direction with any of these problems I would be very VERY grateful.