Forum: Photography

Subject: Hi Everybody

dhastings opened this issue on Aug 17, 2002 ยท 14 posts

dhastings posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 2:17 PM

I've been lurking around here for a while, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a recovering computer geek, and I'm just getting back to photography after about 10 years. I decided to get a digital camera, since I'm not really inclined to set up a dark room, and I wanted to get the pictures on the computer anyway. My Olympus E-10 arrived the day before yesterday, and it sure is a blast. I went off to spend a half an hour shooting, and came back three hours later with 180 shots. I got a number of nearly great shots. I've still got a bit to learn. Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of them with you guys. Comments and criticism welcome. These were all taken on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, in Carnation. -daveh

dhastings posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 2:20 PM

Shot from the trestle, f 10, 1/40, 36mm

dhastings posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 2:23 PM

Grass gone to seed against green grass, f 4, 1/640, 32mm

dhastings posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 2:25 PM

Shot of the trestle, f4, 1/32, 36mm

dhastings posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 2:28 PM

make that f4, 1/320, 36mm Oh, and the brightness and contrast on the first were tweaked with Photoshop LE. On the second two brightness, contrast, and saturation were tweaked. -daveh

Michelle A. posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 3:40 PM

Welcome to the forum Dave...nice to meet you! Great shots...especially #2...I think thats my fav of the 3...

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

mysnapz posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 3:56 PM

Hi Dave glade you made it to the forum. Some nice shots here I think you should practice a little restrain, if you do 180 frames in 3 hours your hard disk might be filling up mighty quick. LOL I like #1 flowing water is a great subject. :O)

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing. Salvador Dali

dhastings posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 4:07 PM

Thanks all. Yikes! Did I say 180?? Let's try 108. I've got to be more careful with numbers. As for hard disk space, I imagine most of them will wind up on CDRs -daveh

bevchiron posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 4:30 PM

Hi & welcome to the forum, sounds like you're having a great time with that new camara! I really like the grass shot but the last one is my favourite, I like the abstraction & the light.

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

firestorm posted Sat, 17 August 2002 at 4:38 PM

hi dave, welcome to the forum...some great shots there...hope to see more of the 108 shots soon :P

Pictures appear to me, I shoot them.   Elliot Erwitt

starshuffler posted Sun, 18 August 2002 at 12:57 AM

Welcome to the Forum, Dave! Glad you came out of the shadows. Nice pics you have there! :-) Have fun with the new cam. We'll be expecting more shots from ya. ;-) (*

PhrankPower posted Sun, 18 August 2002 at 3:01 AM

1913 trestle, huh? I'd love to see a wider shot of that one. Welcome and keep on posting!

randyrives posted Sun, 18 August 2002 at 9:24 AM

Welcome to the forum. Don't you just love digital!!!! I like all three of your photos. #2 & #3 are my favs.

dhastings posted Sun, 18 August 2002 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for your comments everyone. I do indeed love digital. It's nice to eliminate that film processing step before I get to see what I took. It's also nice to be able to review the shot right after I take it, although the LCD is small enough that I'm only catching really gross exposure problems and composition problems at this point. Marshal: As far as the trestle goes, I took a number of shots of it, but I didn't get any I was happy with showing more of it. I'll undoubtedly get back there soon to try again. -daveh