Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Ruby Tuesday - Want to see the Poser 5 figures rendered?

kupa opened this issue on Aug 20, 2002 ยท 151 posts

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 12:49 PM

Good-bye, Dork and Posette, who could hang a name on you? When you change with ev'ry new day. Still I'm gonna miss you.

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 12:52 PM

more more more !!!! :P

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 12:59 PM

Here's a full body shot of Judy

Cage posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:01 PM

Zoinks and Jeepers! Elbows and knees? Bitte? Be yr pal!

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:01 PM

She's pretty energetic...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:03 PM

....jumping to get onto your machine!

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:04 PM

nice detail shot

Penguinisto posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:07 PM

I'm with Cage, kupa - let's see what happens when we bend the knees/elbows beyond 90 degrees - pretty please? /P

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:07 PM

another from the front/side

Kiera posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:08 PM

Cool renders, Steve. =) Can we see that last one from the front? =)

Entropic posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:08 PM

Heya Steve! Good to see you haven't lost your touch, and great to see the new RDNA models starting to get some more of the spotlight! Like a breath of fresh mountain air, it is. Paul

Kiera posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:10 PM

Nm, you were too fast for me. ;) Those shoulders bend much better than I expected.

Entropic posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:10 PM

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a cult meeting... "Homine domine eskimo kupa... homine domine eskimo kupa..." =D

Entropic posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:13 PM

And looks like the days of having to work around scoliotic models are finally gone!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAY!

zorares posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:14 PM

So far I'm impressed with her Shoulder joints! There's a pose I tried with Vickies Arm up by her head and the shoulder fell apart. Could you try that please?

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

ming posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:14 PM

Wow!!! Looks great. I'm sure my puter won't be able to handle it.

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:15 PM

You can call me Tuesday...you can call me Judy...and YES jump on my machine.... NOW!!! beauty. You should call her Tuesday. Great name for her. Thanks Kupa, Q

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

Barbarellany posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:17 PM

Are those dimples on her butt? Could they work better than Vicky's face dimples?

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:17 PM

A closer view...

Entropic posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:22 PM

Wow! Is that strand based hair moving with collision and gravity?! It looks like the hair is flowing as she jumps. =)

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:27 PM

A closeup...

c1rcle posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:27 PM

sniff not bad I suppose. j/k she looks great :)))))) now how about the most important thing you can tell or show us, the release date. Rob

aleks posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:27 PM

nice bendng around shoulders, but her leg muscles... ugh... wish i had those. hip joints need serious re-work and i still don't like her shoulders. final nag: hair isn't receiving any shadows - omission or impossibility? though it still looks good!

aleks posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:30 PM

oooh... glowing nostrils in #21... oooh... if her head casts shadows on her neck, why don't her nose does the same?

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:30 PM

Don's got a heavy load....

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:32 PM

no comment...

S Mallarmé

saxon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:33 PM

The hair is 'king marvellous, so 'king real...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:39 PM

from the back...

Mason posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:41 PM

It looks like you don't have a good solution for around the eyes for the eye lids to eye balls. Perhaps a ring material aroind the edge of the eyelid that can be set to a level of transparency to dull down the sharp line between the eyeball and lids. This is what kills the illusion for me is the sharp distinction between eyeball and eyelid. Otherwise the models look great except the shoulds look bulky on the female.

saur posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:43 PM

Great. I can hardy wait!

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:46 PM

Here's a rendering test with reflection and refraction. A mix of raytracing and the REYES scanline renderer.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:47 PM

That's the Firefly renderer...

Spanki posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:49 PM

Hmm.. looks like reflection of a reflection doesn't work quite right.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

renderhawk posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:50 PM

Wow

XSashaX posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:50 PM

Good-looking models! Great job. :)))

leather-guy posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:53 PM

Any information available yet on render time for an image like the reflection pic in post #31?

saxon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:53 PM

Stunning!

FishNose posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:55 PM

Render 1 tells me that she needs a new trans map for her lashes - really badly! Render 3 tells me that the front of the knee (above kneecap) still goes skinny on bend. (Also applies to Don) Render 4 that the hip still folds hopelessly on the front when bent. Render 5 that her armpits still go too far up. Render 6 that her face is too flat, her nose is odd, and she has no cheekbones at all. Don looks really, really good - except for the skinny knee thing at the bottom of the thigh. Hell, he even has rib detail on his sides!! And his hip bends quite well. So Vicki is secure, Mike gets a competitor. I wonder what Judy's buttock does on a 90 deg forward bend? Posette got a big round bag under each thigh that made her completely unusable. :] FishNose

FishNose posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:59 PM

The reflection and refraction are just wonderful! My biggest bugbear with P4 is dead! Are the Judy renders done with MTs set to zero? That's a rather full figured lady! Rather different from V2 and Steph. And Posette of course. :] FishNose

f91 posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 1:59 PM

Judy legs & feet look similar to Dina.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:00 PM

setting the rendering options... Draft Mode

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:01 PM

Production Mode settings....

ming posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:01 PM

A few face morphs and Vic is down the road.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:02 PM

Poser 4 render settings....

ming posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:04 PM

Kupa, you sadist ! LOL

Mosca posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:04 PM

The great news here is that Judy has a really nice ass. The rest, we can work with. Thanks, Kupa.

sbucci posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:04 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow! Very cool with the raytracing, reflections and cloth! Can I pleeeeeease give you my money now?

saxon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:06 PM

On behalf of all 15 and a half animators thankyou for keeping the old Poser 4 renderer...

ming posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:07 PM

..."reply to your message on Renderosity" every 10 seconds.

Mosca posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:07 PM

Hey Kupa--what's the max PPI for the firefly thingy?

SimonWM posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:07 PM

The date, the date I want the release date!!! Pleeeeease!

saxon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:10 PM

The hair animation!!!!!!!!!! Can't speak....

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:21 PM

We're cutting a Poser 5 crop-circle tonight. What date should we put in the top right-hand corner of the field?

S Mallarmé

thgeisel posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:22 PM

the render with the reflection really looks great! ( hope its not the trick jim burton used sometimes :-))

queri posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:29 PM

Thank you for the Poser 4 renderer-- for some people that may mean they can get P5 now and upgrade their computer later. For me, it means that for those renders I'm going to throw into Painter or plugin to death in PS, I don't have to spend too much extra time on. The rest I can go crazy on-- once I figure out what all that means. Shaders?? I would love to hear a render time on that reflection pic. And please tell me its a professionally done manual and not some rinky dink thing. This Program needs a Photoshop quality manual. Did I mention thank you???;)))) Oh well, thank you again. and even though I don't think Judy's face is all that great, I have the greatest faith in Poser morphers to go nuts on variations. I Loooove her body, little bit more like reality.;-) Did I bother to thank you? Emily

queri posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:30 PM

I forgot, those look a awful lot like RDNA Eyez. Emily pixel buckets???

Momcat posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:39 PM

^_^

williamsheil posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:56 PM

Looks great, but, er... is the depth of field an animatable property of the camera as well, or is it only settable as a fixed distance value in the dialogue box for the entire animation? Or is there a depth map option for post production? Bill

jkm posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 2:59 PM

Can the FireFly render engine do cel shading for a cartoon or comic book look?

Penguinisto posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 3:06 PM

Queri - Shaders are beyond cool. Trust me, you will love them, as I have loved them all that time ago whilst building gaming maps :) /P

saxon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 3:31 PM

Please tell us it's soon....

Mason posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 3:59 PM

Would you guys at Curious Labs be willing to shoot me a sample cr2 file so I could try and fit any Poser 5 changes into Morph manager 6? Thanks

MaterialForge posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:03 PM

Hey quixote, can I help on the crop circle? (grin) Thanks for posting the images kupa - can't wait! (y'know, Judy would make a very good Janet, now we just need Brad, and Rocky, and...)

aleks posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:04 PM

that pic with reflection must be some kind of fake, sorry: - her face is lit in the reflection but not on this side - her neck is lit in the reflection but not on this side - her right ear is free from hair but her reflection has it covered - etc... - anatomy of her back is just wrong. rib cage too short, the rest is too long... (man, is it only me nagging? i can't believe that nobody else sees the mistakes...)

Mason posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:19 PM

aleks - my experience with mirrors is they can have different lighting than the environment they reflect. Now are these truly mirrors or portal renderings? If its a portal rendering you won't get exactly a mirror. Portals are used in game engines. Basically the camera is placed at the portal, the scene is rendered from that viewpoint then the resulting render is placed as a texture on the portal geometry. Somewhat similar to p4 shadow maps where a render is done at the light position to get a shadow mask. I'm curious to see the actually materials setting dialog. I'm wondering if they allow us to set smooth shading on or off for materials so we don't have to break verticies to get flat surfaces.

leather-guy posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:20 PM

aleks, I see the elements you're pointing out, but I don't see them as mistakes, but just tricks of perspective and lighting. The most startling discrepancy from the real world for me is how the figure is lit from (apparently) within the mirror. If it's reflected light from behind her, it wouldn't look so much whiter, and there's be more shadow in the reflection from where she blocked the rear-light. However, given Poser's ability to turn off shadows for objects and lights, the lighting is perfectly possible in Poser. I rather like the new "Judy" - face reminds me of Jane Krakowski aside from the mouth...

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:27 PM

Silver: Dang, Ya. Haul it over here. Aleks: take it easy, man. These were probably done on his lunch hour, between bites and all. Cut him some slack. There's no competition here. If you don't like P5, just don't buy it. Q

S Mallarmé

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:37 PM

I think you are wrong aleks there is a light directly in front of her that while it has no source in the scene negates all of your arguments with the spot light pointed directly at her front from directly in front of her you would barely see it from her back and you can see it at the edge of her shoulder. and as for the hair it is also there but much less visible becouse it is not lit directly from the back.

mabfairyqueen posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:55 PM

I'm with what several others have requested to see. Can we see a kneeling pose maybe with arms over the head? Please. Would like to see very much. Can she do it? The pose with the guy is promising, but not quite to the extreme angle that would answer what we want to know. Can Judy kneel convincingly and have her arms over her head and have that look right? The render windows look cool.

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:56 PM

hay the firefly renderer may not be perfect and I'll still probably use the bryce renderer for complex reflections but I think that accusing Kupa of creating a fake is a little harsh

brycetech posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:03 PM

hey she's got one of them things... you know those things that no p4 woman has by default you know..that thing I'm telling. waves hand in air hey teacherrrr! teacherrrr! I can see her...ummm.. you know...

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:07 PM

yes in a previous thread Kupa revealed that all the adult P5 figures would be anatomicly correct ;P

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:09 PM

now I wonder if don comes with a pnumatic morph? ;)

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:16 PM

If it's an example of refraction, then the light may be refracted through one of the globes. Extreme left is my bet.

S Mallarmé

Q2 posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:17 PM

Nice improvements all around compared to P4. Even joint bends are better, though still a problem. Fairly easy to fix in post for stills, but for animation, well, hopefully this will be addressed in the free upgrade to Poser 5.1! :) Any new clothes come with Poser 5?

gryffnn posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:18 PM

Steve - love seeing the dialogs! It's like taking a quick look around the new home you're getting ready to move into, and imagining all the happy times to come!

Mosca posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:20 PM

I know what wdupre's first body-putty project is going to be...

Penguinisto posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:22 PM

"yes in a previous thread Kupa revealed that all the adult P5 figures would be anatomicly correct ;P " OMG... Gallery Flood Warning is now in effect at Renderotica! Heh... used to be that you had to get Eve, Vicky WGRM-T, or post-work the umm, 'bits' into place. This oughta get real interesting... /P

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:25 PM

Who me? he said trying to look innocent

TalmidBen posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:28 PM

Kupa, don't be discouraged by some doubters and naysayers here, P5 is going to rock. You'll never be able to satisfy some who are bent on criticizing Poser. Even if you created the most fantastic software program on the entire universe (excluding the Planet Zerkotan, they make superb software there), you'll be criticized. But, you probably already know that . . .=-) Ben

mabfairyqueen posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:31 PM

the reflective spheres look kinda odd somehow to me. They have reflection, but in so doing seem to have lost their indications of being a sphere. Does that make sense? I'm having trouble explaining what I mean. they don't have shadow or highlights at all. They're just super reflective and almost disc looking. can the renderer do reflective with shadows and highlights still evident?

EllPro posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:31 PM

SO WHEN IS THE GAWDDAMN RELEASE DATE?

duanemoody posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:33 PM

My revision on the left, the original on the right. I got slammed by Entropic for making baseless statements about Judy, so here's one with a picture. Judy as she appears in Kupa's renders here has a number of facial proportions I'd get in trouble with an art instructor for using. The eyes are still too wide, nose is too high, philtrum too long, and the mouth is tiny. Any first year student will tell you the corners of the mouth line up with the pupils. Look at real people and you'll find Nature's actually pretty strict about this. The mouth and chin look like someone's put a magnet in reverse on the area. Maybe these are morph dials at work, but she looks like a caricature of the Irish, perhaps the wee folk. Is this really her default face? If so I've got my work cut out for me--again.

Scarab posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:40 PM

I want to see a picture of how the collar/shoulders work....can we see them with their arms straight up over their heads? Scarab<-(slow minds want to know....)

Kiera posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:48 PM

Duane: don't tell me you would like to have a default face that you want to use for every render. That would be mighty boring. ;)

brycetech posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:56 PM

gotta side with duane on this his 'new' redhead babe is much more babalicious than the original. however, that being said... give a person a $10 bill and they'll bitch about why its not a 5 and 5 ones... You can't satisfy everyone 100% of the time, and honestly..you're lucky if you can satisfy a very small percent a very small percent of the time. so, that being said...kupa...gimme my p5 now! :P BT

duanemoody posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:11 PM

Kiera: No, I'd like a default face whose proportions demonstrate a semester's worth of sketching the head at the local community college. It's a royal pain in the ass to create and tweak a suite of head morphs just to compensate for mistakes that shouldn't have been made in the first place, the kind of mistakes that stick out like a sore thumb and stick to every character you try to develop without these corrective morphs.

Spit posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:26 PM

Man, Duane, I want character not perfection! Sheesh. The thing I love most about Judy is her wide set eyes!!

xvcoffee posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:28 PM

So goood bye Rooby Tuesday
Who cam hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm hmmmmmmm

(gets over blown with wave of nostalgia and gets the Melanie CD bungs it into the DVD player and looks at the case to get its number only find Ruby Tuesday is the ONLY FING TRACK BY THAT PERSON NOT ON THE CD OR ANY CD OR THINGIE IN THE WHOLE B.... PILE JEE....S @##&@* IVE GOT ABOUT 1OOO+ LPS AND 45S COLLECTED THEM FOR YEARS I WAS A CHART COMPILER AT ONE TIME YOU THINK ID HAVE A FEW DECENT RECORDINGS OF MELANIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Oh well b...ger it, just read the thread.

She still cant bend her legs ...(?)
vert-thingie count?
Adolescent?
one of the little people?
Taylor and the other one obsolete?

(Look what theyve duuuuun to my.......)

duanemoody posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:30 PM

Swell, if your art director likes anime gals in an office setting. Not so swell if he wants simple but believable characters.

milamber42 posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:33 PM

Just placed mine.....................

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:34 PM

hay duane if it werent for those lousy p4 heads we wouldn't have your great p4 charicter morphs. think of it as your first P5 challange, do for the actual model what you did for the picture and I will be the first to download it, and give Kudos.

Penguinisto posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:35 PM

Duane said: "I'd like a default face whose proportions demonstrate a semester's worth of sketching the head at the local community college." So, Duane... what's stopping ye from building one? After all, you could make a killing if you released a 100% anatomically perfect-in-every-sense-to-your-ultimate-satisfaction humanoid mesh, yes? I mean, look at DAZ - they released a butt-ugly-by-default humanoid mesh (The Vickster) with a ton of inherent flaws according to any student of anatomy, yet you can do so much with it, it gets used everywhere, and DAZ ain't exactly hurting for cash. So here's the challenge... build a mesh and market that critter, right here in R'osity - seriously. I'll be first in line to buy it so long as it holds up to stringent cross-study with my wife's unabridged copy of Gray's Anatomy, and you price it reasonably. But until that time, I gotta know something: Where do you get the vantage point from which to be so arrogant, demanding, and deterministic about what Curious Labs should or shouldn't have done with their default model? After all, "Those who can, do..." Fair enough? /P

Spanki posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:38 PM

Thanks Duane, I couldn't figure out what was bothering me about her face and now I know ;). She looks much less like an alien in your fixed image above - quite pretty, in fact. And not to knock Sydd and Co.'s fine textures and morphs, but I'd still like to see the default character mesh (no morphs) with no texturing. I hope there have been some improvements in the joints/etc. but unlike others here, I don't expect miracles and assume there will continue to be some joint problems, I just want to see what the foundation mesh looks like. Also, despite my comments above about the reflection falling apart when it gets recursive, I'm tickled pink to be getting reflections at all - it was just an observation ;).

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

wolf359 posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:43 PM

Will there be any volumetric visible lighting in poser5?? to simulate foggy or hazy environments to show sunbeams through a window??

My website

YouTube Channel

Little_Dragon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 6:45 PM

Where is the Anti-Alias option for the FireFly renderer? Or is that what the post filter is for?

Flak posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:09 PM

Hmm, not bad, CL. Not bad at all.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:14 PM

Folks, Just wanted to share that the critique of Judy is fine. We fully expected it. And to boot, we're fully prepared for it. We know that not everyone likes the first release of any figure. As each one has been released, they're run the gauntlet, and over time peolpe have grown comfortable with their appearance by using the figures modified with custom morphs. Here's our plan. The Face Room. A little background detail- Over 40 3D scanned, real world human heads (they were attached when scanned) were entered into the Face Room database. the data was aggregated into groups likes eyes, noses, cheeks, etc. The data is really acccurate, because it's based on scanned heads. (along with their scanned textures) This database is used in two basic ways. 1- Using P5 sophisticated photo-matching technology, a set of photos can be used to model a head to look like a real world person. 2- Infinitely modify the Poser 5 base figures appearance with dozens of very accurate parameters. The best part of the Face Room? It dosen't bog down your CR2/figure with hundreds of extra morphs to thin the nose, widen the cheeks or even narrow the eyes. They live in the Face Room! Bring Judy in, and dial away. Dial a little, or dial a lot! Duane's right. Every art student knows what the desireable proportions should be. Set those up for Judy or Don, or the kids in minutes, or even better, make then look however you want... You want face morphs? Let me show you some face morphs!

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:15 PM

...one out of six screen caps....

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:16 PM

...two...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:16 PM

...three...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:17 PM

...four...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:18 PM

...five...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:19 PM

...six...

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:25 PM

Alright, I just caught my breath.... Here's the skinny. All these morphs are included in P5. And you aren't limited by twisting the dials... you can use our MorphPutty tool to "pull" on the nose to make it wider, "push" on the eyes to move them closer together, it goes on and on. Then apply the shape and/or texture to our P5 figures' heads, or spawn a new morph target to dial in just what strength this new look should have, or use a photo to make your new character look like whoever... Thanks for the opportunity to talk about this cool new technology!

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:26 PM

Oh yeah, you can also take whatever look you just dialed in, and exxagerate it into a charicature!

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:32 PM

I meant to spell that Kawrikatwoyour ;-) kupa

Patricia posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:43 PM

Ooooooooh, my heart be still...... :) How about the Mac version, kupa????????????? I'm almost glad I'll be away for 2 months in Sept and Oct, since it will, hopefully, make the wait seem to go faster. And I won't have to drool all over my keyboard when the Windoze renders start filling the gallerie....or so I tell myself. (Really, I just want my Mac version now!)

zorares posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:45 PM

Ummm.... OK, I'm speechless! Can I give you my money now?!

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

starlet posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:48 PM

Yes, please do, www.curiouslabs.com

Spanki posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:48 PM

Good point Kupa - I'd forgotten about (or actually, we didn't have enough information yet about) the face room. That should solve most people's issues. I think the face room may also be one of the best new features of P5 ;). 40 pre-scanned heads? cool beans!

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 8:10 PM

Starlet, you mean it? we can order now...

S Mallarmé

Momcat posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 8:16 PM

Will we be able to use the face room on the other figures available, like the Millenium folk and Dina and Natalia?

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 8:32 PM

Momcat, good question. The Face Room uses a 3D envelope that surrounds the head. The envelope is deformed with all the difference vectors and morph targets in the list above. The envelope has to be correlated point by point to the head that fits within it. Every non-standard head requires weeks of engineering time to hook up, correlate point by point, test and update. At this time the only heads that are currently correlated to work within the Face Room are on the shoulders of the Poser 5 figures. I expect this to change. More details as they can be confirmed. Non-P5 figures will work to degree, but the results will be unpredictable and potentially undesireable. BTW, all the P5 figures share the same head mesh, so they all share morph data. A note- If ANY 3rd party figure developers out there want to set their figures up to work in the Face Room, we'll invest the time needed to correlate those heads. But it does require a substantial amount of time and resources on our end to do so. Other than the Face Room, existing figures will work in every aspect of Poser 5. Hair, cloth, textures, materials, etc. will work on any other figure. The Face Room, just like morphs for Posette only work with the content they were created for. Steve Cooper

milamber42 posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 8:43 PM

Mabye DAZ and CL can partner to work on the Face Room engineering for the Mil figures....I hope :)

gryffnn posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:16 PM

1. Did everyone notice the dial names can now be long - without running into the setting numbers! 2. Can't even find sellion??? in my OED 3. Steve: message #100/first dialog/cheeks/2nd dial reads "round/grant", probably should be "round/gaunt" - just to prove we really are hanging on every tidbit you toss us! (More...Need More...Need P5...)

Zrincx posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:20 PM

Is it possible to make a render of the rest of the family? TIA.

Bobasaur posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:21 PM

ANNOUNCER: the crowd stands in stunned silence as The Kupa slams one; not just over the fence but across the highway on the other side of the parking lot!!!!! [collective deep breath] CROWD: ayayayemeidid,ggnfldp!!!!!wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, wooh, yippee, yeehaw, Remember The Alamo!

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Little_Dragon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:27 PM

119 posts and climbing ... run for your lives, it's the Revenge of California Dreaming!

Momcat posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:28 PM

Is that also only compatable with the P5 stock? How does that work?

Zak posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:45 PM

Having dug around, I did figure out what a sellion is.

First of all, the word selliform is in the OED, and that's the clue. Selliform means saddle-like. Apparently, a sellion is a word used in anthropometrics to mean the dip at the top of the nose and more or less centered between the eyes or eyebrows.

(It's amazing what you can learn with a Google search!)

Another more or less unrelated thing. (I should mention that I am not a beta tester and I am not in any way affiliated with CL). I've seen some people mention the geometry of the new P5 figures. I'd just like to point out that one of the lsited features of P5 completely nullifies that point for anything done with the Firefly renderer -- polygon smoothing.

I use a similar feature in pretty much all of my Lightwave work, except that (from what I understand) P5 does it even better. Basically, the object is converted to Subdivision Surfaces.

Sub-D's (as lots of people call them) are a method of taking a low-polygon mesh and getting a very smooth model out of it. If you've ever worked with a program which will do a smooth subdivision of the polygons in your model, it works like that except that you determine how subdivided the model gets. In the case of the Firefly renderer, it can subdivide the model down until the polygons are less than a single pixel, meaning there are effectively no more polygons in your image.

This is looking like a really excellent release. Bravo, CL!

-Zak Jarvis
http://www.voidmonster.com

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 9:53 PM

Momcat, another good question... MorphPutty will work on any figure's morph. Just click on a face or any actor with morphs and drag in the Pose room. And you'll be able to sort the morphs and create directories of grouped morphs, just like in the Face Room images above. So collect up the sculpt morphs and drag them all together in a new directory called "Sculpt Morphs". Create another directory called "Lipsync Morphs" and drag all your Mimic morphs or TextPuppet morphs into it. Collect all your naughty adult morphs into another set. You control what's in the directory and what's not. You name it. Plus you can lock it. That way you can preserve a group of sculpting morph settings and only "Putty" the expressions. Or lock the expressions and "Putty" the face sculpt morphs. You can also split a facial morph (or any symmetrical morph) into a left and right side morph. Turn a smile into a leftsmirk. It's likely that figure developers will set-up their new characters pre-grouped so that you don't have to go through the hundreds of morphs and sort them one by one.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:00 PM

and here's what the corresponding Morph Parameter Dials look like in the new P5 Parms Dialog with groups already set-up. BTW, I'll be hiding these CR2s on the Poser 5 Content CD. Dig around friends, you'll find them... All the tongue and facial morphs a user could want! Traveler, you rock! And to boot, there's a bunch of morphs from Jaager with full body settings including a full collection of breast and genitalia morphs. Yes we fixed Cross Talk! I know I haven't really gone into the "who" part of our content yet. Wait till you see the Content CD. It's a piece of art. Poser 5 contributing artist bios, lots of free additional content, images, animations. It's almost worth the upgrade price alone.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:03 PM

by "these CR2s" I mean these "overly morph loaded development CR2s". The standard "well morph-stocked CR2s" will be right where you expect them. In the Figures Library!

Momcat posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:03 PM

"It's likely that figure developers will set-up their new characters pre-grouped so that you don't have to go through the hundreds of morphs and sort them one by one." Warning: Random wild speculation ahead. I wonder if this is what DAZ is doing for V3. Sounds really neat Kupa. I can't wait to be able to place my order. Can Morph Putty be used to create new (from scratch) morph targets for figures and props, or do we still need magnets for that?

quixote posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:10 PM

Kupa, you sound like a very proud father. I'm happy for you and so glad that many artists from this community will get the recognition they so richly deserve. Happy Birthday Poser 5. Many happy returns!!!! Q

S Mallarmé

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:12 PM

Zak, Good work on sellions. Poser 5 users are going to be pushing the edge of charcater animation and set-up. And this goes way beyond what you'd expect to have control over in "ANY" 3D character system. And the detail on subdivision surfaces is correct. At rendertime Firefly will smooth polys to whatever degree you specify. There are certainly practical limits though. This way we can deliver figures that are about 24,000 facets/verts in size and these can smooth at rendertime to look much smoother than they appear in mesh form. BTW, the render time in Firefly for a higher res version of the image with the raytraced reflections and about 10,000 hairs with polygon smoothing and soft shadows (raytraced shadows on hair produce a hard edged hair by hair shadow, that looks very unrealistic, we can do that with Firefly if you really want that look) was about 1.5 hours.

Little_Dragon posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:29 PM

Oh, neat! You have the Mimic morphs in their own group.

Zak posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:35 PM

Kupa, Thanks. :) I'm a bit of a word-wonk, so I can really sink my teeth into a challenge like that one. Are joint-driven morphs possible? That'd be really sweet lacking a full physiology simulator (which, of course, is what I really want). That's really quite a decent render time for all the stuff going on there. I'd point out that reflected and refracted hair is currently only possible in Softimage and an obscure, unsupported test version of the Shave & a Haircut plugin for LW, so that's a nice coup, Kupa! One fun trick, since there's 3d-motion blur; you could use ray-traced shadows on the hair and use a spinning light-array to get nice area-light shadows on that hair. Rendering time would be a bit harsh though. The P5 Hair sim looks good. I'll know for certain when I get my hands on it, 'cause really, hair simulation is almost less about the possible results and more about the interface to get them. I'd like to see renders of people with a more real-world number of hairs and hair thickness. Is the full range of the materials lab available for shading hair? Two major features for realistic hair are translucency and anisotropic shading, and It doesn't (offhand) look like most of the P5 hair renders I've seen use them. I'm looking forward to playing too! -Zak Jarvis http://www.voidmonster.com

EricofSD posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:42 PM

Fantastic. Might just be the shadows, but it looks like the armpits are too high (not enough thickness in the arm to shoulder area). Well, can't wait.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:04 PM

Zak, There's an anisotropic shader in FireFly, it would work well for hair. I'll also have to tweak the translucence settings to see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, our skin shader is a blend between Blinn Specularity and Translucence. Joint Driven Morphs were in development by one of the masters, and likely will be deliverable, but not the time we ship. Also raytraced reflected hair is no small feat. Thanks for the kudos. We're in a good list there I'd say. I hope you can get great results out of our hair styling interface. Neftis took to it immediately. Within a week of working with an early Alpha build, Mychelle-Anne was cranking out hair styles that still amaze me. We gave her very little direction, just a basic overview, and boom. She was styling... Very cool to see. We'll have to talk her into some tutorials... It's different, yes. But it can be driven to work pretty darn well.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:08 PM

here's a shader set-up with an Anistropic Specular shader pluged in. That took about five seconds to set-up.

Zrincx posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:12 PM

I wote for a render of the rest of the family next, after all this thread is named: Want to see the Poser 5 figures rendered? Yes please! :-)

wdupre posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:19 PM

I do hope the manual will be explaining all this coz Anistropic Specular shader means nothing to me.

kupa posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:19 PM

zrincx, That's next on my list of renderings. The whole Robinson crew. Too little time, so many cats to wrangle. kupa

Zrincx posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:30 PM

Cool.. its 06:35 in the morning here, so I deserve to get a peek before headin for bed :-P (The whole Robinson crew!! LOL :-)

duanemoody posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 11:44 PM

I-- I can't resist-- futile--I'm getting on the bandwagon for P5 even if the next Mac version is behind, even though I'll HAVE TO BUY A BRAND NEW MAC to run it... Mimic still relevant... My will is gone. I've been (to quote Mr. X elsewhere) tamed. Oh, and for the record, hallelujah for using the same head mesh for both figures. If you've done the same thing for the hands and feet so much the better. Would it be pointless to see a Firefly render of the older P4 folk just to see how the poly smoothing treats them?

Zak posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 12:07 AM

Kupa,

Skin shading is near and dear to my heart. Lately I've been totally enamored of sub-surface scattering even if it is the most terrifyingly slow thing I've ever rendered (I can easily imagine setting up still images that take months if not more than a year to render, and I'm not using hyperbole).

The above picture is Victoria 2 (converted to sub-d's), the millenium teeth, the stock Vicky texture, a single ray-traced point source light, no radiosity and the OGO_Hikari plugin for Lightwave. It took... Er. Like 20 hours to render, as I recall. That bit of grunge around her eyes is because I skimped on the quality a bit so it'd finish within my lifetime. Moral to this story? SSS looks great. Renders slow.

I'll really be looking forward to playing with the P5 skin shader. Sounds like it should be a good compromise for quality/speed.

Is it possible to hook up parameters to angle of incidence? I've been finding lately that one thing that can make skin look nice is hooking the specular up so it's stronger at extreme glancing angles.

-Zak Jarvis
http://www.voidmonster.com

kupa posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 12:22 AM

Zak, That's how our skin shader is set-up. And you can duplicate the effect with all the components. I couldn't tell you how though...After a little more time, perhaps.

Prime1 posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 12:39 AM

Pros, Cons....discuss them all......me, I'm buying P5 ASAP. I'm not a Graphics Pro, or an art student or any of that stuff, I just like Poser as a hobby, it's fun and challenging. Poser, any version, is a great product, and THAT is why I use it and THAT is why I'm going to buy P5. Chris

kbade posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 12:39 AM

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!I MUST PRE-ORDER, BUT I CANNOT SEE WHAT I AM DOING! MY HEAD HAS EXPLODED! DANGER!

hauksdottir posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 1:31 AM

Wowsers! Well, I'd like to see more images, too. (I have a lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong list of what I'd like to see.) However, I'd also like Steve to get some sleep, or at least a catnap or two. Since Curious Labs is in the last couple of weeks before release, they are furiously hunting down bugs, polishing code, checking links, and deciding what is vital and what has to wait for 5.1... and all this responsibility is on his shoulders. So, I will merely say THANK YOU for what he is showing us, for the gift of time right now is a precious one indeed, and suggest that we wait with our petitions until he says that the golden master disk has been released? As a developer I know that a few hours can make a difference as to whether a feature makes it into a product or not... let's give him those hours. Carolly

Lyne posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 2:03 AM

This is all very fascinating and can't wait to get my copy.. I do have questions though.. I am not sure what this "Firefly renderer" is... will that work on my win98se high end machine? Or will I have to resort to the P4 renderer until I go to win2K? And with all this talk of smoothing a mesh with the render.. does this mean that if I export a P5 person for use in Vue that the human will be a rough figure in need of further smoothing? This would be awful! Sorry for my confusion on this issue.. P5 figures seem to be such a new (low res??) different mesh. I am also wondering with all the morph possibilities in the (wow!) Face room, can you save the morphs themselves like you can in P4, or at least the whole figure with the morphs in it? Again, sorry for my confusion.. It's all so fascinating, yet complicated looking on first look! I too thought the new female looked a bit weird, but with the explanation of how the faces can be molded and created to look very individual then it is pretty neat! Let's hope that there will be artists who will create these pre-set new people for us folks who don't have the time! I might have missed it.. can the figure have the pretty LONG eyelashes that Vicki and Steph have? At this point I am glad that I have Vicki and Steph with their face morphs and the special high res maps I have bought for them.. they are ready to go and do not need to be 'built' to look pretty or interesting... Which brings me to my next question! Can folks who do this sort of thing sell or share the P5 cr2 morph sets just like for P4? I would think that someone would offer hair styles too.. ! It does create a whole new people market I would think, depending on any restrictions... ? Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Spit posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 2:12 AM

When you wake up, Kupa :) can we set independent colors in the interface for text and background and stuff? From the screenshots it looks MUCH easier to read than P4 and for that I am soooo grateful, but the white against the beige is still a bit difficult. Am just sitting in awe over everything here!!

c1rcle posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 2:53 AM

The Money I have set aside for Poser5 is now screaming at me to pay it to you, please don't take too long to release poser5 I don't think I can stand the noise for much longer :) Important Question Will the Content Paradise be just for buying & selling or will there be space for freebies too? Important Question Rob

FishNose posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 3:59 AM

Boy, Kupa's pics of the dial made me go gooseflesh.... This is gonna be FUN! I hop all those morphs stay in the final characters - I want a LOT of dials. Gives me more to play with! My Vickis are up to nearly 1200 morphs now, and growing.... A question - will a P5 pose file save Body values? And will it save scale values if I want it to? The ideal is as follows: You save a pose to pose lib. Popup gives you the usual choices, plus: "Should the folowing be included in the saved pose? 1. Position of body/object 2. Position of parts 3. Scale 4. Morphs" Or something similar. I'm assuming here that materials will be saved in a different way to creat MAT files, and don't need to be included in the list. :] WishNose

HandspanStudios posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 4:45 AM

I second this question: 'Can folks who do this sort of thing sell or share the P5 cr2 morph sets just like for P4? Any restrictions?'

"Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair."

Annie Dillard

Dale B posted Thu, 22 August 2002 at 12:00 AM

Kupa, and the team; Bravo. Can't wait till payday! And I hope Dacort and DSI are going to get Natalia and Dina arranged for the face room!

dcort posted Thu, 22 August 2002 at 5:46 PM

Yes, I would very much like to get Natalia and Dina set up for the face room. I would like to take Curious Labs up on their offer of help in this regard.

HandspanStudios posted Sat, 07 September 2002 at 9:00 PM

Yes, Dina and Natalia should be set up for the face room, that's a great idea.

"Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair."

Annie Dillard

Spanki posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 1:29 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=879720

Hey Kupa, Up in post #132: "Also raytraced reflected hair is no small feat. Thanks for the kudos. We're in a good list there I'd say." ...but, no one but you has been able to achieve it due to either bugs in the ray-tracer, or lack of understanding of how to set up the material settings. Could you please take a look at the linked thread? Were you using the production version of the code when you rendered post #31 above? Or did a bug slip in between then and ship? If there's some setting we're all missing, we'd love to hear about it ;). Thanks, - Keith