Forum: Vue

Subject: Camera help needed

Kurka opened this issue on Aug 25, 2002 ยท 16 posts

Kurka posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 9:44 PM

Is there a way of moving the camera without having the sun follow? I can't seem to manage it. I'm using Vue 4.06 and WinXP. Can I create another camera? Manual's no help. Thanks, -Nando.

sittingblue posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 10:11 PM

Turn off point at camera under Sun properties. - Charles

Charles

Kurka posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 12:44 AM

I tried this, and the sun still follows my camera as I move it. Thanks, though.

sittingblue posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 1:13 AM

I'm sorry I thought that was the problem. I did some further research, and I have same issue. The Sunlight and long distance lights follow the camera. - Charles :[

Charles

Kurka posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 1:25 AM

This wasn't an issue with me, until now, but I've been looking at mover, and it seems that this would be a serious problem with animations. I wouldn't want the sun to follow my characters across the landscape! Is there a way to create a second camera? I don't see a way of doing it.

sittingblue posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 1:36 AM

When you click on the camera icon, a new camera is created. You can switch cameras by clicking on the arrows directly below the camera icon. However, the long distance lights follow the new cameras as well.

Charles

kongorilla posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 3:03 AM

I believe only the orientation (rotation) of the sun is important because it is a directional light. Moving it's (or any directional light's) position won't have an effect on the render because it's lighting everything in the scene from the same direction according to its rotation.

If you're just annoyed by the light following your camera around, hmmmm...I don't know how to stop it.

YL posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 6:01 AM

Maybe due to the version of the soft (update to 4.1) ? Yves

gebe posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 6:50 AM

The sun only follows the camera if you move it back or forwards. That's normal, as both, the sun and the cam doesn't change direction. When you turn your cam, the sun doesn't follow.

Guitta

gebe posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 7:17 AM

I wanted to add: The sun follows when moving the cam forwards, back, up and down. If, after moving up and down you want to change the sun, just move it.

Kurka posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 7:50 AM

The sun even follows when I move the camera up and down. What if I have an animation with the camera following a plane across the landscape? All the shadows will move.

ArgentiumThri-ile posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 8:35 AM

It looks like you didn't understand the Guitta's post, so I'll try to be clear : Yes, the light will follow the movement of the camera, but will not follow its eventual rotation. And, as the sun is considered 'infinite light' the position isn't important and don't make the shadows move. Only orientation (rotation) of the sun will change shadows. For being convinced, create a new scene with a day atmosphere setting and create one primitive. Render it and try to remember what you've seen. Then, drop your sun object behind the floor line (yes, do it !). Render again and you can see that nothing has changed... :-) Now, reload the same atmosphere. Uncheck the 'Point at Camera' box and then, rotate the sun. Render. Now, even it the sun didn't moved, the light changed... The sun settings are something special to work with in Vue but, when you understand how it works, everything is OK... Argentium Thri'ile

Kurka posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 11:45 AM

Okay, I'll give it a shot. -Thanks.

ArgentiumThri-ile posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 12:05 PM

Mmmm... I forgot to say that even for the first render test, you must off the 'Point at Camera'... :-) Argentium Thri'ile

DMM posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 5:33 PM

Another way of putting it... the sun object only displays the DIRECTION of the light, not the position. The fact that it seems to be attached to the camera makes no odds, just makes it easier to find while setting up.

Kurka posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 6:22 PM

Got it.