Forum: Carrara

Subject: Do I have enough computing power?

kelley opened this issue on Sep 01, 2002 ยท 7 posts

kelley posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 8:24 PM

Bought Carrara 1.1. Had all sorts of problems. Upgraded to 2.0 thinking that they would be fixed. Not so. Can't use Booleans, for instance. The menu selections are greyed out. I'm using a Packard Bell 333Mhz Celeron/250Mb RAM. Is this system just too much of a wheezer for Carrara?

PAGZone posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 12:13 AM

Well the minimum specs do call for a P2-300. Now the 333 Celeron is a slimmed down P2. Have you applied the patch? Regards, Paul

ewinemiller posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 7:38 AM

You can never have enough computing power, but that machine should be fine. Until recently I was using a PII-366 with 256meg and a iMac 233 with 192meg for most of my Carrara development work. It's not fast, but you won't suffer any reduced functionality. Good luck, Eric Winemiller Digital Carvers Guild Freeware and commercial 3D extensions http://digitalcarversguild.com

Eric Winemiller
Digital Carvers Guild
Carrara and LightWave plug-ins

EtchASketch posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 8:28 AM

As far as your "can't use booleans... greyed out" goes... Sounds to me like you either; Are in the main assembly room and are attempting to boolean and only have selected ONE object or perhaps you have selected a grouped object. Create a scene with 2 spheres and have them intersect. Using CTRL, select both spheres and then you will see the boolean choices are available. Or; You are in the vertex modeling room and are trying to do a boolean subtract, and boolean subtract is 'greyed' out. You need to SELECT ALL in the vertex modeling room and then hold CTRL + ALT... while holding CTRL + ALT click on a vertice of the object which you wish to REMAIN, it will then turn yellow(the vertice).... You will now find that boolean subtract is not greyed out anymore. ****** A word about booleans..... Don't use them if you don't have to.

I am a very unique person... Just like everyone else

charlesb posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 4:21 PM

If you are experiencing problems with Carrara, I would suggest that you email our tech support so that we can know about your problem and provide a solution for you. We try our best to make things work for our users but if you do not report problems we cannot help... Charles Eovia

Kixum posted Tue, 03 September 2002 at 11:31 AM

Your computer power shouldn't affect your capability to use booleans. I still use my K62 400 and have never had a problem. Booleans are tricky so use them sparingly. EtchaSketch has some good guesses on what may be the problem. -Kix

-Kix

kelley posted Tue, 03 September 2002 at 2:48 PM

Thanks to all! Etchasketch cracked the code on my boolean problem. I had a secondary the same night I posted the query: I could not select a shape in the Vertex Modeling window. I kept getting a message that said "An unknown error has occurred..." I was thinking that mayhap my polygon count was too high [tho' the model was barely started]for the resources computing them. As it turned out, that problem went away when I re-launched the doc. in the morning. Thanks again.