Forum: Writers

Subject: Tiny Challenge (just for fun)

ChuckEvans opened this issue on Sep 11, 2002 ยท 13 posts

ChuckEvans posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 5:30 PM

Use the word "that" in a sentence so that that ( <---tiny clue) word appears five times consecutively. Or give me the best you can do. After all, I said that "that" was the most overused word in the English language. Time to show it! PS: And if that's too hard, show me a word that contains 3 double-letters consecutively. For example, "seedding" (which is not a real word, and only contains 2 double-letters but provides the example).

tresamie posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:49 PM

Chuck, I know that that 'that that' that you wrote was just a tease.

Fractals will always amaze me!

ChuckEvans posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:56 PM

Holy S--t ! You made it so simple! It seems. Although, to add some inflection to the sentence... "I know that that that 'that' that you wrote was just a tease." It's a good example of overuse of the word. (hats off to ya!)

tresamie posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 9:36 PM

Small curtsey Any bookeeper could tell you the other challenge. grin

tresamie posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 9:37 PM

oops...bookkeeper

ChuckEvans posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:02 AM

Well, darn! You just hogged the whole show! Message671414.jpg

tresamie posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:21 PM

Hangs her head Guilty as charged :(. But, you asked... Oh, and do you know a similar word with 4 doubled letters in a row?

ChuckEvans posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:37 PM

nu-be...3 consecutive doubles...methinks you scanned my original too fast. HOWEVER, you get bonus points for that "Thayut" story. (grin) tres: There is a real word with 4 in a row?! Is this some kind of trick?

tresamie posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 8:05 PM

Yup, it's real, tho seldom used anymore. Looks up her sleeve...no tricks, honest. :)

tresamie posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 8:32 PM

LOL I believe it. Nu-be, I loved your that-that story!

ChuckEvans posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:31 AM

Well, tres, thanks to your challenge for keeping me awake in bed last night. Sorry to report no answer appeared. Heck, I could hardly think of words with two consecutives in them!

tresamie posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 8:45 PM

blushes ummmm...actually, only the subbookkeeper knows the answer.

ChuckEvans posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 11:07 PM

Hey, you sayin' I can find that in a dictionary? You better blush! If we were playing Scrabble, I'd have to challenge. Message671414.jpg