Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: P4/P5 Time Test

Jackson opened this issue on Sep 11, 2002 ยท 4 posts

Jackson posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 5:49 PM

The above pic is Charysma with Vairesh's Total Hair. The file was built and saved in Poser 5. I rendered will max quality settings in Poser 4 (far left). Then used the P4 renderer inside P5 with max quality settings (middle). Then used Firefly's Production Quality setting. The time is in minutes and seconds. No changes were made to the file between renders. I used the default lights with one additional light. I disabled the shadow on the additional light. It appears Firefly may have rendered the 4th light's shadow anyway. I don't know, tho.

Cromwell1 posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:01 PM

And the Firefly looks the worst. I wonder is CL can get a refund on the FF engine... =P Seriously though, I am trying to hold off judgement on FireFly until I can use it. However, the initial screens do not bode well.

Entropic posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:32 AM

Not a very good test. You need to readjust material settings in PZ3's ported from P4 to P5. Firefly uses shader nodes, whereas P4 uses only 3 maps. You'll have to tweak the materials parameters to give Firefly a fair shake. It doesn't handle reflection, refraction, transparency/opacity, or ambience the same way. The Materials Room is easy to learn, but you need to take a bit of time to consider the differences between how P5's firefly and Poser 4's phong renderer handle things. I'll be looking forward to seeing this when you've gotten more experience under your belt. Good to see you're already learning, though! Paul

Jackson posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 7:28 AM

Well, thanks for the comments. Ratteler: Shadows were on during all the renders. The lights were the default P5 light setup with one additional light. I turned the shadow off on the one light I added; that's all. And that shadow was off on all three renders. So all three renders had the same instructions as to the shadows. Entropic: This pz3 was not ported from p4 to p5. It was the other way around. I made the scene and saved it in P5.