Forum: Vue

Subject: broadcast compatability 3d builders

ged opened this issue on Sep 19, 2002 ยท 5 posts

ged posted Thu, 19 September 2002 at 3:43 PM

Hi , I am at present looking to buy a 3d world contruction package , Vue was one of those mentioned to me . Can anyone tell me though if the resolution output in VUe can reach broadcast standard . I would need to output to a minimum of 720 x 576 ( PAL square pixel) and ideally 16:9 for wide screen, whilst mantaining sharpness of image.Ie transfer to video ( digital Betacam) would not result in unaceptable degradation. WOuld appreciate your input on this. One other question I've seen some great stills from VUe and other prgrammes but does this quality hold up in animated sequences at broadcast level? THanks for your help in advance

drnw04a posted Thu, 19 September 2002 at 8:24 PM

You can control resolution, pixel shape, frames per second, and interlacing when you're preparing to render your animation. Individual animated frames look as good as stills, although the highest qualities do make for long renders. You can also enable motion blurring, although I'm not sure if its quality is up to broadcast standards. I would think that like any other 3D package, the quality of the final output would depend on how Vue interacts with your codecs and hardware, and I haven't done a lot of trial and error in that department. If you have to compress heavily because of memory limitations or other hardware constraints, any package's output will degrade.

ged posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 4:37 AM

Drwn, thanks for taking the time to reply ,I would do my own post-work on a professional compositor so the motion blur etc is not an issue, and render times are co-measurate with quailty so that's fine too, what I need to know is how high a resolution vue would allow me. I work from a broadcast workstation whose codecs allow me up to 2k (film resolution) and need to know if vue has a bit depth that could manage that ( althugh as I say I would be happy with just generic broadcast, 720x576 pal ,uncompressed. Does it give the option of saving to fields? Is it capable of 10 bit ( image +alpha)? again thanks for helping out on this

drnw04a posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 11:54 AM

I don't think Vue puts a limit on render sizes. You can also add Alpha and Z-Depth channels to animation renders. I think some codecs let you embed an alpha separately too. I haven't done much besides real small experiments with After Effects, etc. Maybe someone else has used Vue animations for something that involved more professional demands. The Vue demo will let you get a look at the rendering options and get an idea how things will look. It puts a time and resolution limit on renders, but does let you render to a video file, if I remember correctly. This might let you do some experiments with the tools you plan to use and get a better idea if it will work for you.

ged posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 4:25 PM

Ok , thanks for your input , I guess the demo is the way to go. By the way if you are interested in post-work you may want to check out DIgital FUsion by eyeon it is by far superior to After Effects in its intutive work methods, everything is linear so there is no finickity clicking and making changes is as simple ABC. No I dont work for them I am a very satisfied customer thuogh. again my thanks