Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Photoshop 7 freezes on me - why, and what can I do about it?

SeanE opened this issue on Oct 12, 2002 ยท 13 posts

SeanE posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 8:46 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=260354

Ok...have just got hold of ps7. I have installed it on a laptop with 256 RAM, 20GB HDD (with 10GB free) a 900Mhz proc. and running WinXP pro. I opened the app up and after the usual intro screen got a warning saying that my history volume and (*something* - can't remember) were the same and that I should change this, preferrably to another drive entirely (which I don't have as an option) I searched the help files and they said pretty much the same thing and that preferences can also be changed. So I did so, upping the scratch disk size from 110 to 180 (out of 228 available) and changing the disk destination to C:/ from 'scratch' as that was the only other option available there. This had the effect of making the freezing occur a little later than before but it still happened. By freezing I mean that the entire laptop comes to a halt and I have to unplug the power and remove the battery to get it going again. Of course anything since the last save is lost. Now, I did a pic called "Red Mars" (here on rendo incidently) and that was only 90kb eventually and didn't cause a problem. However, when I did my tank girl pic which is what I normally do with photoshop (see link) I got the freezing problem. The tank girl psd file was scanned at 200dpi and took up about 2Mb all up with 8 or so layers. I eventually resorted to my old trusty PS 5.0 to do that pic. So... What is the problem? How can I fix it so my laptop doesn't freeze on me?