Forum: Photoshop

Subject: stupid question.

bonestructure opened this issue on Oct 14, 2002 ยท 4 posts

bonestructure posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 3:57 PM

I feel like I should really know the answer to this, but i don't. When using free transform, and you want to move the object, is there a way to make sure you only move it straight up or down?

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

retrocity posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 4:20 PM

There are no stupid questions, just obvious ones we've "forgotten"... ;)

The best way to ensure your selected "free transform" ONLY moves up or down is to use the arrow(cursor) keys. If you hold down the "shift" key (which in most OTHER apps constrains movement) you'll find it "snaps" to grid coordinates. (up, down, and forty-five degrees!)

:)
retrocity

trick-art posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 9:33 AM

There is only one stupid question and that's the one you don't ask. Ask. Someone knows. I'm not certain which version of Photoshop you're using, but if it's 6 or higher, another nifty feature available is the control bar on the top. You can enter in values, coordinates, whatever there which will give you extremely precise control. Retro's answer is, however, the easier way to go.

Heronheart posted Tue, 15 October 2002 at 11:14 PM

The shift key will constrain movement in Photoshop. If you don't want it to snap to the grid go under the "View" menu and uncheck "Show Grid" and/or "Snap" and/or "Snap to Grid" - Ken Heronheart -