Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Letters around objects tutorial anyone?

TheWingedOne opened this issue on Oct 18, 2002 ยท 10 posts

TheWingedOne posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 4:14 AM

Hi I'm looking for a good tutorial for placing letters around an object -not only circles, but squares, rectagle... I know I might do this in Freehand or Illustrator, but is there a satisfying way to achieve this in Photoshop, too? Thanks, Phil

cambert posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 6:26 AM

Nope, you need to do this in Freehand/Illustrator, turn the text into paths, and then import the paths into Photoshop. You can manage a little text shaping with the text shaping tool in PS but nothing worth bothering with IMO.

retrocity posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 7:18 AM

There are no easy ways to accomplish this in PS, only painful ways!

It requires a separate layer for each letter and the moving/adjusting of the "center" anchor to pivit rotation on. This is a very time consuming method when taking in consideration the ease in Illust/Freehand....

It can be accomplished (but so can at home brain surgery), it just might not be the best route.

:)
retrocity

TheWingedOne posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 9:46 AM

Thanks a lot! Actually I was expecting that answer, but I just wanted to be shure. Happy photoshopping, Phil

Slynky posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 9:58 AM

you mean you STILL can't type text on a path in PS7??? I haven't erally used version 7, i like 6, but I thought that woulad been something they'd've implemented by now... maybe they think it would dip into their illustrator sales...

retrocity posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 10:17 AM

Maybe Adobe should swap programmers between apps! ;)

PunkClown posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 3:43 AM

You can do it in "Indesign" so maybe they don't want too much overlap of functions between their products?

xoconostle posted Mon, 28 October 2002 at 11:22 AM

That's exactly right, PunkClown. If Photoshop becomes too much like Illustrator, what's the point of buying both?

tommyboy73 posted Tue, 26 November 2002 at 9:37 AM

You could try a program called Typestyler to wrap your text. Then import it into photoshop

kruzr posted Tue, 26 November 2002 at 10:07 AM

I don't have Illustrator, as of yet, but when ever I need to wrap any type around ANY kind of a shape, square/circle/triangle/outline of an object/ or any other shape, I use PaintShopPro. Save the file with layers & all as a .PSD, then import it into PhotoShop. I realize it's not an Adobe product, but it's just my way of doing this sort of thing for now. . . Mark.