Forum: Carrara

Subject: I can't think of a way to make this.

nivek_ opened this issue on Oct 22, 2002 ยท 7 posts

nivek_ posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 8:14 PM

Hello, I need to make something in RDS5.5 as its been to long since I made anything. Well cycling is another hobby, I just got a great bike, and now I want to model my bike in RDS. I can't think of a way to make the chainring, can you think of a way. Thanks, Kevin For a pic of the bike I have copy-paste this http://www.caninet.com/~bicycle/image311.jpg

ashley3d posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 9:32 PM

Are you wanting high detail (each ring), or the whole chain as a non-animated object. Either way use the spline modeler should work. First create a outline in CorelDraw or Illustrator of the chain. Secondly, save the file as an AI file format. Finally, import the AI file into the spline plane and wha-la there you have the desired shape. If anyone else knows of another way, give it up. --Ashley3D

Kixum posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 9:46 PM

1.) Very cool looking bike! 2.) What is the chain ring? Do you mean the gear? 3.) If you're trying to make gears, the spline modeler should be able to do this relatively easily. If you're talking about making the chain, there are some cool techniques you could use by shading withouy having to build a whole chain link by link. Building a chain link by link could be done without a HUGE amount of work but not back breaking. Litst has a cool chain shader. I was actually planning on making a bike almost identical to this one. Let me know how it comes out! -Kix

-Kix

nivek_ posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 9:52 PM

The chain ring is the large gears towards the front. Thanks for the ideas, I start tommorow making it. But it probably willn't come out well, I need lots of pratice.

ashley3d posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 5:37 AM

Nivek, go ahead and post your work-in-progress, so we can see how it going. Maybe we can help you out along the way. Kix, aren't you suppost to be on vacation somewhere? --Ashley3D

Kixum posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 11:27 PM

Aha! I'm not on vacation, I'm out on business but I'm still lurking in the shadows! Last week I was in New York on vacation. This week I'm in Oregon on business. Next week I'll be in Germany on business as well. When I'm done with all this traveling, I'm hoping to sit down and do some serious Carrara-ing! I also agree that you should post your work in progress. We all benefit from that and some of us would like to probably try some stuff you are working on ourselves. -Kix

-Kix

nivek_ posted Sat, 26 October 2002 at 9:42 PM

I have yet to have time to try to make this, but I will post my WIP. You should all feel free to make something like this too. It could be a sort of friendly challenge/learning expiriance.