Forum: Vue

Subject: Eldena Ruins

Peggy_Walters opened this issue on Oct 29, 2002 ยท 9 posts

Peggy_Walters posted Tue, 29 October 2002 at 12:00 PM

Can anyone help me locate the model of the Eldena Ruins? I think the model was created by Helmut, but I checked his site and it is not there. I think I downloaded this at one time, but now I can't find it. Even if it is not available anymore, can you let me know the filename? I only really started organizing what I download for the last few months. Before that, I just put things on CDs with no tumbnail of what it was. Thanks! Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Peggy_Walters posted Tue, 29 October 2002 at 11:16 PM

Found it! the file name is curch_ruin.zip. The file does not have a readme included, so I still am not positive that it the same one used in the Vue gallery picture Eldena Ruins. Anyway, I have a question... Why is it that some obj files when imported will not apply the textures even if the textures *.mtl files is in the same folder? I tried this file in Vue and Bryce, no material. I do the same way with other obj file, and the materail is there. Any suggestions? Thanks! Peggy

rds posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 12:19 AM

Perhaps you can change the Materials in the Material editor the small ball on the top tool bar. Or sometimes you can split the object by clicking on it twice and then clicking the split button. I hope I have understood your question and this may help. Best regards, and good luck .. shoop

MightyPete posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 12:24 AM

It's possible there is no material in the *.mtl file actually. Somethimes when files gets converted the material data gets stripped and all that is inside the *.mtl file is a default grayish material. Easy to check and that's drag it into Note Pad. Other reasons to is different directory structures and different file names. Like somebody edited the file names so they no longer match what they were when originally saved. Capitol letters, whatever lots of reasons.

rds posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 12:35 AM

That's a good point MightyPete that has happened to me more than once. I have noticed that some obj files are set at different Mesh angels that seem to cause problems in Vue as far as applying the textures. I think this was discussed here once before. --shoop

MightyPete posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 12:58 AM

There is also the flip problem too -90 thingy. There is too many formats IMHO. Some times maybe its good the textures don't follow cause they all need editing anyway. That default grayish material becomes the default tan material in Vue BTW.

Peggy_Walters posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 8:36 AM

Thanks for the ideas. Importing obj files seemed to apply the materials 50% of the time and I was not sure if I was doing something different, or the file was. Peggy

kruzr posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 9:52 AM

Hi Peggy . . . 8^) In my experience with Vue 4.1 & imported textures so far, I pretty much rely on UVMapper to do my texturing on any of my .OBJ model files. 1st of all, none of my 3D modeling programs export any of their own, ( native ), material files with the .OBJ model. 2nd: I've had some problems trying to calculate the mapping orientation of imported textures in Vue 4.1, that come along with the imported .OBJ models. So, I use UVMapper, = ( free version ), to do all my .OBJ texture mapping, then save the newly created .OBJ file & the newly created UVMapped texture template, in it's own folder. I load the UVMapper, ( texture template ), into PhotoShop or PaintShopPro where I can create a new texture for each part of the object. Or you can use existing textures pretty much the same way. After that, any of the newly created UVMapper .OBJ files load into Vue 4.1 without any visible textures, but all you have to do is to edit the gray Material file shown with the imported object, & choose = "Mapped Picture", go to where you saved the UVMapped .BMP edited file in PhotoShop, & load it. The only other thing I have to do is set the, ( Picture Scale "Y = -1.000" ), & that's it. The nice thing about this procedure is you can still select each separate sub-object & edit it's own individual Material attributes. This is the best & most dependable procedure I've found so far using imported textures in Vue 4.1, it sounds a little lengthly, but once you get used to it, it's quite simple. I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's the best information I have at this time, sorry. Have a good one . . . Mark. ;^)

rds posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 2:15 PM

Whoa, that's a great idea Mark. :O)