Tue, Oct 22, 1:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: What are the Best 3D Programs for making morphs and objects for Poser?

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 12:51 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:46 AM

I love Poser, but magnets make me crazy (they're clumsy and imprecise, imho). And I want to create objects for Poser too. Basically, it's time to move up in the world and get a 3D program. ;) My dream come true would be a 3D program that can import Illustrator .ai files as well as 3DS, DMX, and OBJ files, and export OBJs. I would love a program that's gentle to 3D newbies (a program that's intuitive), but can still deliver powerful creation tools without costing a small fortune. Now here's the catch, I use a Mac. I realize this limits my options, so I'm thinking about getting Virtual PC on the Mac so I can run Windows programs on it. So my next question is: Will 3D programs run well on Virtual PC, or should I dream on about that? ;p Thanks for any advise you guys may have. smooch bB

BazC ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 2:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com

Well if you're running OSX you have plenty of options, 3DS max, XSI and Rhino are PC only but I think all the other major apps are available for mac. It all depends on your budget. Cinema 4D and Lightwave are both excellent progs, Cinema R8 is quite a bit cheaper than Lightwave. If you're running OS10.2 I'd give Wings3D a go. Earlier versions had a problem importing Poser models but I think they've sorted it out now. I'm not sure about it though, I'm running OS10.1.3 and can't use the latest version of Wings. It's a great modeller, very stable and powerful and, wait for it - IT'S FREE!

Baz

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 2:29 PM

Two of the most popular are Rhino and Zbrush. Rhino3d is PC only, but it is a very stable program. I'd think it would run on a Virtual PC, but you might want to ask at the Rhino Forum to see if anyone over there runs it on a MAC. It can use .ai files, does import 3DS and DXF and there is a freeware utility that will convert from .obj to native Rhino format. It can export to .obj format. The McNeel company (maker of Rhino) is a very responsive company. (I had the pleasure of taking a training class at their headquarters; they're really nice people.) There's also a very active and knowledgeable Rhino forum here. Zbrush does have a MAC version as well as a PC version. I can't tell if it reads .ai files but I know it can read .obj and .dxf formats. Zbrush is said to be quirky, but not difficult to use once you get used to it. (I don't have the program, but I know it's popular for Poser morphs.) From what I've seen, Pixologic is also a very responsive company. Hope this helps.

cainbrogan ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 3:25 PM

Carrara was made by the previous owners of Poser, while they had it... = )

Tomsde ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 3:31 PM

Following in the tradition of Ray Dream Studio, Carrara 2.0 is very reasonably priced and there are still some discounted copies of Carrara 1.2 out there. It exports in file formats that Poser can utilize, can be used to make morph targets, and runs on a Mac. There is even a "lite" version called 3D basics for only $99, which offers many of the same features but with fewer types of modelers. Check out: www.eovia.com

jehllm ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 6:53 PM

Is it better to go for a program like 3DS Studio or Lightwave, even though they are expensive, because they seem to lead the market, being able to use them might be marketable, and there are meshes and tools available for them? With educational discounts, they are not impossibly expensive. thanks to BastBlack for asking the exact question I have been thinking about!

fls13 ( ) posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 7:32 PM

I recommend Blender. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but it's freeware and gets the job done.

Tomsde ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2002 at 7:34 AM

If you can afford something more expensive, then go for it. Maya is the one everyone seems to be talking about. I remember reading that there is even a trial version. I'm just an amatuer hobbiest. No Lightwave in my future I can assure you.

BastBlack ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2002 at 2:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. This helps alot. I'll check out Wings and Blender. And I'll most likely buy Carrara for now and if the 3D bug bite me hard, I'll work my way up to the Big Boy's Toys. ;0 Thanks again for the tips and the feedback. =) p.s. There's another freebee program for Mac I found out about, MeshWorks. I don't think it will do Poser stuff though. bB

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.